1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How to teach someone to play bass?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by feeblefingers, Feb 21, 2014.

1. feeblefingers

feeblefingers

Hey, I hope I put this in the right spot, feel free to move this thread as needed. :)

Well my story is as such. I have played bass for several years now, and my sister plays piano. But I've heard her say she wished she could play bass (or guitar) so she could view music from a different angle and have more expression opened up to her. But she says she never can learn how to play anything on a stringed instrument because it hurts too much, and it's so new to her from playing keyboards all her life. I want her to have the big world of bass-ism opened up for her, but I have never taught anyone how to play an instrument.

So I guess my question is this: Where would I start in giving "lessons" so to speak? I'm sure once she learned one riff or song, she would take off on her own. How would I keep interested long enough to bear through getting blisters and such?
  2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    If she plays piano, then she probably reads and has a good ear already. You could show her some basic technique for playing without getting hurt, and let her work her own way through some basic method books.
  3. jimmybass67

jimmybass67

If she already plays basslines with her left hand, she knows basslines, so show her where they are physically on the bass.
  4. feeblefingers

feeblefingers

Actually, neither of us read music, but we both have really good ears! :)
    Thank both of you for your advice!
  5. remainthesame

remainthesame

i dont have any advise. but id like to point out how cool this thread is. you are being taught how to teach. its like woah!
  6. feeblefingers

feeblefingers

Hehe, yeah it is pretty awesome! I hope it wasn't a lame thing to ask, but I thought if anyone was bored enough to throw a response out there, I would give them the chance, haha!