1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How to tell if pot is wearing out

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AshVette, Mar 13, 2014.

1. AshVette

AshVette

Hey guys, just acquired a 2004 Warwick Corvette Standard. I was playing on it tonight and noticed that the volume knob turns way looser that the pickup pan and tone control knobs. No cracking of sound, none that I noticed, but it is pretty wiggly also. Could the pot be worn out?

2. AshVette

AshVette

3. K-Funk

K-Funk

Is it all brown and crumbly? :p

Might just be loose. Does it turn within the route, past its normal rotation?

4. ejmy

ejmy

How to tell if pot is wearing out

It doesn't get you as high as it use to. (sorry, couldn't help myself)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Crater

Crater

The classic symptoms of a pot wearing out are crackling, cutting out, and dead spots, especially while turning the knob.

If it "wobbly" then it's most likely the retaining nut for the pot is loose. Remove the knob (it may or may not have a set screw holding it on to the pot shaft, you'll have to look), and gently tighten up the retaining nut. MAKE SURE that none of the pot's 3 terminals are touching the sides of the control cavity, that can cause a short circuit and silence your bass.

7. eukatheude

eukatheude

Thank you.