1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How to tell which model Strunal?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by greenjoel, Dec 12, 2012.

1. greenjoel

greenjoel

Hi all, complete newbie here so I apologize if this has already been covered and/or I step on toes/break the rules - it is not intentional.

In any case, I've been keeping my eyes open for an affordable, entry-level UB for my girlfriend (she dreams of playing UB with some of our local musician friends; most likely bluegrass/alt country stuff).

I found a local female musician who is asking $900 (US) for a Strunal of unknown model...this girl is a highly-educated musician who (according to her) has been playing this bass and enjoying it.

I'm going to check it out tonight (hopefully) but, beyond just checking out basic stuff such as the integrity of the wood, etc I'm not really sure what to look for...I also have no way of knowing what model Strunal this bass is.

Does anyone have thoughts/input on what to look for, how much to offer, etc?

Any opinions, etc that you all throw in my direction will be appreciated - thanks!

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

For that price, it's probably laminated and may be a decent instrument and good buy. Look for a label inside the bass. Find out if it has an ebony fingerboard. Best thing to do is have it checked out by a bass luthier before buying so you will know if it needs repairs or adjustments. Many luthiers in Boston, Michael Hartrey comes to mind.

Read THIS

3. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

I've seen the ad. The photos are NOT helpful, but if it has an ebony fingerboard and a laminate body it is probably a 50/4. The 50/1 has a painted maple fingerboard, which I would avoid.

I had a 50/4 and it was a decent instrument that happened to have a great setup. I sold mine for $800 with bag and Glasser bow. I'd say you should offer her $600 and pay no more than $700, and do not finalize the sale without a luthier's OK, preferably after a trial period of one week or more so she can be sure she likes the instrument.

4. gottliver

gottliver

i'm shocked at the low price if it is 50/4. those sell new with good strings and a pro luthier setup for at least $2000. The 50/1 would be around 1500 new...
    I shopped around for a long time before settling on a 50/4 from David Gage, I paid $2200 with spiros, adjusters and a mooradian bag. settling is the wrong word, i choose it from a plethora of shen's, kay's, romanian, and czech-ease laminate basses.
    They seem to be very well regarded instruments and have been around for a very long time.
    Mine has a label inside that says, made in the Czezh Republic, 50/4.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. greenjoel

greenjoel

thanks everyone for the great info; hopefully I'll be checking it out in a few hours and will be sure to look inside for a label, etc...

7. longfinger

longfinger

8. gottliver

gottliver

And the 50/1 is the same as the /4 save for the ebony board and tailpiece. Maybe it has plate tuners rather than individual ones.