How to test a used cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by vondran, Nov 4, 2012.

1. vondran

vondran

I've been looking to pickup a used 4x10 cab and am wondering if there are certain tricks or things to specifically listen for when trying out a used cab. I figure, first does it sound good, is there any distortion at playing volumes, and then try it loud and soft, and with a 5 string to test how it handles low notes. Anything else I should specifically be doing or listening for to make sure the speakers and cabnet is in good shape?

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Look through the grill (or pop it off) and check for any creases in the paper cones or tears in the paper or surrounds.

3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Try to take your own amp if possible.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I would make sure you play every single note through it at a good volume, I have had rattles happen on A but no other note, I have seen with it several notes, usually A, on a couple cabs.

Other than that these are all pretty much what I was going to say.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hodgy

hodgy

Disclosures:
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    I like to throw an ohmmeter on the output for fun.

7. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Does it stick or do you have to hold it there? :D :p

8. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

To check for blown drivers & wiring faults, you can do the 9v battery test.

Remove the grille so the drivers are clearly visible. Stick a 9v battery across the + and - of the speaker cable going to the cab.

Just do a short 1-second test.

ALL the drivers should move in our out, depending on how you attatch the battery.

If one or more fail to move, they might be blown or loose connections.

9. Tim1

Tim1

If it has got a tweeter/horn turn up the treble on the amp, turn the horn to full and listen for hiss. Then turn down the horn and see if it goes away. Just a very basic simple check for it - the other way is to play a CD through it and turn the horn up then down and listen for the diference which shoule be more noticeable.

10. bobcruz

bobcruz

Do all of the above, and use your knuckles to knock on the cabinet everywhere to search for cracks or broken spots that don't show through the carpet or tolex. Well, almost all of the above--it isn't necessary to remove the grill when looking for cone creases or doing the battery test if you have good light and can see the cones clearly through the grill. I like a super bright LED flashlight for the inspection.

11. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    All that and this:
    http://appfinder.lisisoft.com/app/oscillator.html
    :bassist: