1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How to use arpeggio

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mouseist, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Mouseist

Mouseist

I have been studying with 'Teach Me Bass Guitar' for month and half. Roy teaches chord tones and arpeggio. I practice everyday without knowing what to do with all these up and down stuff. I heard Carol Kaye said chord tone is more important than scales for bass player but how do I apply all these? Does it help later eventually if I keep practice arpeggio?
  2. gbftats

gbftats

arpeggios outline chords, It gives you more options then just playing root notes. Learning the different arpeggios along the neck gives you more options when in different positions. Try using them in context with familiar tunes and the answer should present its self.
  3. fearceol

fearceol

4. ransombass

ransombass

5. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

Keep practicing your arpeggios! Learning to use them will be much easier if they are totally second nature and easily under your fingers. Eventually you'll start to learn songs you like, and then you'll realize when arpeggios were used in cool bass lines, and everything will start to come together. In fact, if you already know some bass lines you like, try to analyze them in terms of chord tones and scale tones. Also realize that often in practical use the entire chord arpeggio may not be used, but just two notes of an arpeggio, and that quick chord cadences can often be outlined by partial arpeggios. For example, "Fool In The Rain" by Led Zepplin, the cool bass part emphasizes the 6 feel in verses, I don't know, maybe 3 and 5? - verses before the calypso breakdown - use a very fast partial arpeggio movement in the bass line. The outro, on the other hand, uses scale fragments, so although many will say "chord tones more important than scale tones" take that with a grain of salt in my opinion. That said starting with arpeggios and chord tones is the way to go, fill in the more tension-creating notes from scale tone knowledge later on in your quest.
  6. devine

devine Supporting Member

Hey thanks for the mention guys!

Yeah... you can get a lot of milage from arpeggios/chord tones. If you check out the Jeff Berlin thread in the general instruction' part of the forum at the moment you'll be able to see him making great use of arpeggio exercises.

Also keep an eye out for my new lessons website that is on it's way, there's gonna be a load of tutorials on there covering all sorts of stuff... for free ;)

Easy,

Scott.

http://www.scottsbasslessons.com

http://www.scottdevinemusic.com
  7. Mouseist

Mouseist

Thanks for advice! I will check the link tonight. Late last night I found myself sleeping in the middle of arpeggio practice so I wonder how I can make it more musical and interesting.
  8. abstractart06

abstractart06

Great advice. Thanks for sharing. I will be checking out Scott's website from now on.
  9. lowendfriend

lowendfriend Supporting Member

For another great learning site with lots of useful tools, check out Andrew Pouska's site:

http://www.studybass.com

His examples and play-alongs get you up and running pretty straight away.
  10. mambo4

mambo4

+1...
    Nobody really uses "just" arpeggios to construct bass lines.
    Practice arpeggios to teach your fingers and ears where the notes are. But look to players and bass lines you admire to see how to use them practically.
  11. ChurroGreen

ChurroGreen

hi Mouseist. You are right. Sometimes is difficult to find the right approach if you are not playing maybe jazz. But i could tell you to check Ray Riendeau playing arpeggios. Maybe look for "liquid" tune. And his tutorial on arpeggios http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ray riendeau