1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How to value a 1980s Fender Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dave2, Feb 1, 2013.

1. dave2

dave2 Gold Supporting Member

I have a good friend who has a Fender Jazz bass with hard shell case from the mid 1980s that belonged to her brother who passed away recently. She wants to sell this Jazz bass. I told her I would try to determine a fair value for the bass and help her sell it. Maybe I'll buy it -- I will know more about the bass once I've looked at it in person in the next week.

My question is: What are some ways to determine the approximate value of a Fender Jazz bass from the 1980s? Recent sales of similar basses would be one way. Any ideas or opinions? Any particular websites? Or price guides that might be somewhat accurate?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

2. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Depends is it USA made or MIJ? Also is it just a standard USA made or a 62 RI ? etc.

3. dave2

dave2 Gold Supporting Member

I will determine this when I see it. Where can I find estimates on its value whatever the Fender Jazz particulars may be?

4. millsbass5

millsbass5

I don't know about now, but at one time, Fender Japan Basses from that era would cost you more due to the killer quality compared to the U.S. versions. I have 2 MIJ Jazz Bass Specials that I'd put up against ANY U.S. Fender Bass from that period. IME, the MIJ basses seem to hold more value to players "in the know". With the exception of the Fullerton Reissues, IIRC.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. xroads

xroads

check ebay completed auctions. It will give you a rough estimate of what they go for.