How to warm up a US 62 AVRI Jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Hugh Jass, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

So I've had a 2006 US AVRI Jazz for a few years now and I'm just tired of struggling to get a good tone from it.

Preface: Not going to sell it because the original neck ski jumped and has been replaced with a Wamoth so resale is, well, you know. Plus I love the way it plays with the nice beefy Warmoth neck. Body is nice and resonant as well.

Also: I know it's not an issue with my rig because my other bass is a Spector Rebop with EMG DC's and a BQC pre. I have no trouble EQ-ing for a THICK, growly and super warm tone. In fact, EQ-ing that bass just changes the flavour of thick, warm and growly.

Now, back to the Jazz: I've just never been able to get much warmth or growl out of it. Sizzle is not hard but It just seems to be lacking in the low mids. Theres enough low end, and enough clarity at the top, but not much warmth in the middle. Theres just no punch. Seems like clanky is easy to get and boomy and muffled is easy to get, but that growly jazz tone just isn't there. For example, soloing the bridge is too harsh and clanky to even be usable. Yes I have tried Fenders recommended pickup height as well as many variations of higher and lower.

The concentric knobs are kind of funny. Dialing back the volume knobs just a bit has more affect on the tone than dialling back the tone... Also, as has been discussed, the tone knobs interact in strange ways. The warmest tone I have been able to get out of it is with the volumes backed off just a bit and the neck tone backed off about half way. I also find backing off the tone for warmth just muffles the whole thing and makes it boomy.

I've watched plenty of youtube videos and listened to plenty of Jazz bass songs and I just can't get mine to sound like what a good Jazz bass should. Whereas my Spector sounds exactly like Spectors do in videos and songs if not better.

I'm looking at replacing either just the pickups, or the whole works. I'd prefer VVT and would like to keep it passive. Looking at Dimarzio area J's as I'd still like to retain clarity but looking for a lot more low mids. Any other recommendations? I'm not a single coil purist so hum cancelling would be great. I just want some thick warm low mids. Any suggestions for a good quality basic VVT pre-wired control plate? Has anybody gone from stack knob to VVT? Big difference?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
  2. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Never mind, I'm gutting the whole thing and putting in Dimarzio Area J's and a normal VVT. Classic Jazz baby! Ordered the parts today.