how to wire volume and tone pot that came with some emg pickups to a split p set

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ThirtyOver, Feb 17, 2013.

1. ThirtyOver

ThirtyOver

recently purchased two EMG soapbars for my Schecter along with a BQC control set. After installation I have two sets of Volume and Tone Controls that came with the pickups just laying here extra. Also have an extra battery connection and several extra jacks.

I have an old Rogue 4 string bass that has two simple split p pickups but no controls. The volume and tone pots that I have from EMG have soldering or plug in connections. Wondering if I can use the EMG volume and tone pots with the battery connection in this rogue or not.

If so..how to wire? Have looked up several diagrams but nothing seems to be what Im looking at.

one of my pickups has a black wire coming off and one has a white wire...there is a blue wire connecting them.

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    You can only use the pots that came with EMGs with other active EMGs, and some other active pickups. You can't use them with passive pickups.

The value of the pots is 25k, and passive pickups require at least 250k.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

well you can, it'll just sound like ass :spit:

anybody with a warwick "rockbass" is suffering with an instrument that has passive pickups going into 25k volume and pan pots before they hit the preamp, greatly dulling the sound.

swapping them for at least 250ks (i think 500ks would be best) will bring those instruments to life.

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Well I meant to use them and make them work properly! I used to have a whole box filled with left over EMG pots.

Really? Geeze, why the heck would they do that?

I have a Hayman 3030 guitar once. It had two humbuckers. I wondered why it was so dark sounding, and then I discovered it had 100k pots! Stuck in some 500ks and it was like a brand new guitar.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

with the little see-through "spyglass" thing in the headstock? cool!

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Yes, like this one:

[​IMG]

8. ThirtyOver

ThirtyOver

well thanks. Wasn't too concerned about buying a few pots, just figured if I could make it work with what I have on hand it would be good enough. Not using this "bass" anyways. Plan on selling it.