1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How tolerant are you of others.....?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sneha1965, Feb 2, 2014.

1. sneha1965

sneha1965 Supporting Member

I have many different types of friends that run the political, religious, and sexually oriented spectrum. Some of my friends wonder how I could be friends with someone who shares different political, religious, or sexually oriented views. In fact, if I were to get them all in a room together it would be quite interesting. Then again all hell might break loose. Some friends I enjoy for certain aspects, while I may not agree with them politically. I do however, draw the line if they are ever abusive.

What do your think about this? Do you allow for friends different from you or are you more comfortable sticking around people like yourself? In essence, how tolerant are you of others who may think, act, or be different than yourself? Would you befriend someone say who is outwardly different religiously than you, though you respect and enjoy each others musical talents, or would you avoid a friendship because the have different religious views? This is a rhetorical question.

There is no right or wrong answer to this question as it is really a person decision we all must make for ourselves. I'm just looking to see how you folks here in TBOT land see things. Okay, have fun!
  2. Junk420

Junk420

My philosophy is that I don't care what you believe in or your orientation, whatever gets you through life is your choice. All I ask is that people don't shove it down my throat and I return the favor by doing the same. Opinion and discussion is normal and fine, but anything past that I honestly don't have the patience for. I've spent my 30 years on this planet figuring out what works for me, I don't need someone telling me I'm doing it wrong.

After reading what I just typed, I'm not sure if I come across as an ass or not, but I'm not trying to.
  3. bolophonic

bolophonic

I am extremely tolerant of most people, but I have very little patience for people who get off on extreme politics. Particularly the variety of anti-science/religious zealot/corporation worshipers who like to pick on the downtrodden. No time for that garbage.
  4. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I'm more tolerant of some things than I am of others. I don't give much of my time to people who are pushy and overly vocal with their political and religious beliefs.
  5. sneha1965

No offense taken for me. In fact I would feel the same way if someone would not respect my boundaries. I do however, see the world becoming more polarized and less acceptance of others on all side of the spectrum. Just my personal view here.
  6. Mike M.

Mike M.

I'm pretty tolerant of others. I'm straight and one of my best friends was gay and I was never bothered by that. (God rest his soul). We were in a band together and some of my best memories are of our time in the band together. I believe in God and my next door neighbor describes himself as a devout athiest....and he's one of the coolest people I've ever met. Great neighbor.

Each to thier own and judge not so you won't be judged.
  7. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

How tolerant of someone I am has a lot to do with how tolerant they are of me.
  8. Ironbar

Ironbar

I sometimes think of this when I see the word "tolerance" or hear it uttered in conversation:

9. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

I am tolerant of people who deserve my tolerance.
  10. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

We invent unnecessary criteria to separate people. Maybe it stems from some ancient tribal thing that functioned to protect our tribe, but in today's society just serves to invent enemies and artificially generate conflict where cooperation could easily exist. The "us and them" mentality is what we fall into when we don't realize that there are way more things that connect us all than separate us.

I have coworkers that hate each other because they follow the wrong football teams.

All that said, I am pretty intolerant of jerks. And even though I know it is probably some mental health issue that they really need my tolerance and support to deal with... But I hate jerks. Especially jerks that know they are jerks and play it up like it was some sort of life strategy.

I find it difficult to tolerate stupid people. Especially people that don't believe that they are stupid and thunder forward boldly through life leaving a trail of destruction. People that always act on the first dumb idea that pops into their head. They never check the facts. They never ask questions. They never do research. People that buy lottery tickets.

I know its wrong, but it just can't stand boldly stupid people!
  11. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

While I am tolerant and accepting of most differences, I will confess that I don't like to associate with people who's politics (i.e. values) are very different from my own.
  12. sneha1965

I tolerate Tituscrow because he buys fine art. ;)
  13. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

And I tolerate sneha because he makes it ;)
  14. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Not very much i'm afraid. I mean... i recognize most people have a right to live (most) but that doesn't mean i want to know and more importantly, be friends with most of them. I get easily annoyed or put off by people. It's like that. Unsurprisingly, i don't really have friends. Hanging out on a messageboard such as this is about as close as i get to regular cordial interactions with fellow human beings.
  15. Big B.

Big B.

My tolerance is that I honestly couldn't care less how you live your life. Not even slightly. Straight/gay, atheist/religious, liberal/conservative, couldn't care less. The more you try to force me to care the less tolerant I will probably become.
  16. blastoff99

blastoff99 Supporting Member

I'm not toloerent of people who can't spell.

;)
  17. beggar98

beggar98

I'm tolerant of some things, completely intolerant of others. I think the idea that I need to respect someone's idiotic viewpoints is stupid. If you're an idiot, I'm going to tell you you're an idiot.

Luckily, such topics are verboten on TB, so we can all stay friends.
  18. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

I like to think that I am quite tolerant. Monomanias annoy me though.

Through one of my brother's friends, I know a guy guy who will twist any of conversation into a rant about foreigners/immigrants/"anti-hellenes". The "any" part is not hyperbole, a discussion about the Hobbit will end up there. He annoys me just as much as a homosexual ex classmate of mine with whom every single discussion ends up being a polemic about gender identity. I really cannot say that I can tolerate either for long. Their facebooks are both pretty funny though. :D
  19. chris1125

chris1125 Supporting Member

I would say I am open to anyway a friend lives there life as long as they're not an ass or generally bringing people down. I have several friends that aren't straight, and other friends that are extremely religous and conservative. I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to put them in a room together but I generally expect my friends to be open to other people. The more important thing is whether they can take my dry sense of humor and general laziness.
  20. bmc

bmc

I don't tolerate people who surrender their ability to think to religion or a political party line. Ignorance of other cultures is a turn off.