How ugly is this?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by basscooker, Jan 9, 2013.

1. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    I finally got a plot together for my Peavey 4x10 columns. I picked them up on trade, and completely reworked them. I was looking for a basically indestructable general purpose cab (actually two, and whaddaya know he had a pair!) that I could put at each of two jam spots and LEAVE. anyway i stripped the tolex, ditched the nylon grills and frames, line-x'd the whole shebang, and put four GRS 10PF - (about as cheap as i could find. xmax is **sigh** like 3mm. sensitivity :/ 87dB. like $9 each when you buy 4+) in each cab, finishing it all up with big feet, corners, and steel grill. anyway here are a few plots i have:

the "middle of the road" yellow one are the cabs as they sit (sealed). the rest are various vented, except the two lower power ones. they are with only two drivers in the cab, the green plot sealed, the purple one with it vented.

so, basically, how ugly are these plots? i'm pretty happy with what i'm getting out of them. what are these plots telling more educated folks?

[​IMG]
  2. craig.p

craig.p

I would say a 10 dB peak at 110 Hz is a big problem. Also the sensitivity is super low. Wrong driver for the wrong application. When you say "columns" I assume you mean tall/narrow/shallow vocal columns, which means tiny tiny box in terms of internal volume. Vocal columns don't need to go lower than about 200-250 Hz, so no one cared what happened below that. If that's what you've got, then it's no mystery that things get better when you model only 2 drivers in it. Try modeling only one just for grins.

But, taking it all in context, if you like how it sounds, then who the heck am I to say it's all wrong, lol..........

You could drag down that 110 with a 1/3 octave eq, maybe tame things a bit. It would also let you slope down everything below, say, 80. Check your cone excursion graph at various power levels and you'll see what I mean.