1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How will the current American Standard Fenders age?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sigmafloyd, Feb 19, 2013.

1. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

I'm curious how the finish on the 2008 and beyond fenders will age over time. In particular, if they will ever get that dried out resonance that vintage basses have. I know they aren't nitro, but the coat is supposed to be thinner. Thoughts?
  2. sobie18

sobie18

Only time will tell.
  3. mongo2

mongo2

Let me check...I'll get back to you in about 25 years.
  4. Jbassrockboy

Jbassrockboy

I think the way my us 2012 jazz bass ages will depend partly on how I look after it.

One thing I am fairly confident about is I will likely age worse than my guitar lol :)
  5. DudeLeap

DudeLeap

6. DudeLeap

DudeLeap

7. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

Depends on its diet, exercise and sleep habits. :)
    Personally, I wish I could undo about a thousand cheesesteak subs and about 10,000 cheeseburgers!!!
  8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

My 2002precision with poly is still near bullet proof.

My 2010 Precision V is marred from general use on the back. Plays, feels and sounds great.
  9. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

From personal experience, I can attest to the truth of this statement... :bawl:
  10. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Still a pretty thick finish on the 2008+ MIA standards..... I would expect it would take most players 10+ years to wear thru to the wood where your arm rests, as an example.... And this would be with heavy use.

These basses won't be looking like roadworns any time soon IMO/IME.
  11. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

I'm not really picky about maintaining "showroom condition" of my basses, but I'd leave the road-worn look to either REAL vintage pieces, or at least period-correct pieces. That aesthetic only holds attraction for me on those instruments.

Like if I bought a new Corvette, I'd not be anxiously anticipating it gaining that "been around Riverside a few too many laps" patina. If I had a vintage '67, I'd expect it.