How will this amp and cab combo work together?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by rebel1222, Jan 17, 2013.

1. rebel1222

rebel1222

2. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

As long as you listen to your cab for speaker compression and don't turn up past that you'll be fine. That will be one monstrous sounding rig by the way. Those HLF cabs have a huge low end and so does the SWR. You may find yourself rolling the bass off on the head to keep it controlled.

3. rebel1222

rebel1222

Thanks. here's another question: if i were to connect in parallel a 8ohm hartke 410 cab with the above mentioned 4 ohm cab, would that then make it 2.6ohms? it says something like that in the amp owners manual, but just wanted clarification.. i didn;t think you could do that.. also, i think the 410HLF will be fine as a stand alone, but might want to give thoise speakers a little help by spreading the power over 8 -10 inch speakers..

4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I wouldnt bother with the second cab. I would check out the fDeck HPF-3, would really help your power management with that combination of gear.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

+1
    Also consider adding compression.
    At a gig, be sure to go FOH to hear how it sits in the mix.

7. rebel1222

rebel1222

Fro some reason, i have struggled getting a compressor set up correctly...

8. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Pretty much if you can hear it working a lot, you have it set too aggressively. It shouldnt change your sound at all, just take care of big transients.

9. rebel1222

rebel1222

what exactly does it do for me? does it help protect the speakers?, or does it enhance the tone? I have one and when setting it up and using it, it seems very confusing, and aggravating.. and yes, if it was turned up even to like 4 it was always muting my sound... i disconnected it out of frustration.

10. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    It should be adding a level of control to your signal chain. It will protect your speakers to some extent, but will also level off the big spikes if you play hard and have a big volume increase on a few notes. For you standard playing, you shouldnt hear it working.

11. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Try to find a youtube video that covers your compressor. There's a youtube video for just about everything these days. If not, just read up on it. You really have to LEARN a compressor rather than just start tweeking all willy nilly like.

12. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

If you wanted to add another cab, you could just get another HLF. I'm pretty sure that SWR head will go down to 2ohms. You'd certainly never have any problems with volume in that case. Carting around 2 huge heavy cabs might be one though.

But the SWR/HLF combo should work fine, as long as you're conservative with the volume and with the low end EQ. But those cabs are supposed to have a lot of low end, so you shouldn't have to push it as hard to get what you want anyway.

13. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    My concern running at 2 would be the thing getting too hot.

14. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Two 4 ohm cabs would be 2 ohms
    Two 8 ohm cabs would be 4 ohms
    One 8 ohm and one 4 ohm would be 2.67 ohms

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

The biggest problem running a 4 ohm 410 with an 8 ohm 410 is that the power will not be divided equally between the 2 cabs. The 4 ohm cab will get a much larger portion of the amps power, leaving the 8 ohm cab with much less. So, the volume coming out of the 2 cabs will be out of balance, with one screaming blue murder, and the other one almost whispering. The 410hlf alone should provide plenty of volume on it's own.

16. rebel1222

rebel1222

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I slide the SWR in the rack last night and jammed it thru that 410HLF cab, and man oh man...thunder..and sweet tone.. I added an Alesis 3630 compresser and while it seemed to lower the punch and volume a bit, it did seem to even out the over all sound out a little bit.. so to get the same volume as before i just have to turn it up a touch..

Yeah, it appears that the single 410HLF will be fine as a stand alone cab withb this head.. after all, our band isn't booked for Wembly stadium anytime soon...lol. This cab should give the Atlanta clubs all they can handle.. If i do add one it will likely be a 4 ohm 2/10 or something. I can't wait to play this rig at band rehearsal Saturday..

17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

No, a 4 ohm 210 is a bad idea too. If you add an 8 ohm 210, then all 6 spkrs get the same power. Read the faq's, and amp stickies. Knowing HOW your gear works is very important. It'll save you repair and replacement costs from misuseing your gear.

18. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

19. rebel1222

rebel1222

what does +1 mean?

20. rebel1222

rebel1222

wow ricken boogie, i did not realize that... this ohm business can be rather confusing for the layman such as myself... i guess i'll be doing some reading..

21. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    It means I agree with his statement.

There is a stickie at the top of the forum with a ton of info that you should review.