1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How would this cab sound?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by KablesP, Feb 11, 2014.

1. KablesP

KablesP

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

If there is a cross over (doubtful) it may sound good.

As it looks, I would pass on that cab.
  3. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    If it has a proper crossover in it, it could sound quite good. 12's playing lows, 8's playing mids and tweeter playing highs.

It's when you send a full range signal to different types of drivers that you get into the whole mixing speakers thing. Done properly, it can sound quite clear/hifi.
  4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    It would almost have to have at least have a cap on the 8's to keep them from blowing. Don't know about full crossover, subchambered mids and all that.

If it's local to you, OP, I'd at least go play it and see what you think. Set up a clean tone and turn it up good and loud...then listen for any distortion, especially from the 8's.
  5. wideload

wideload

Depending on the drivers actually used, couldn't you add a crossover and make this a bargain delight? Like maybe a HPF between the 12s and 8s, assuming the tweeter already has some passive crossover.
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Hard to say. If the speakers share the same air space, its a no go for me, regardless of filter cap or cross over.
  7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    The MTM alignment is cool. Even if it ends up needing a little modding/optimization in the crossover....it should put out a pretty rightous amount of sound for $200. I'd be inclined to buy it just because. Then go about throwing a couple more caps and coils in there if it needs them. Aside from maybe a big lowpass inductor, that's fairly cheap stuff to do.
  8. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Indeed. Adding subchambers behind the mids if they don't already have them is a cheap, easy $10 mod as well.

The more I look at it, the more I'd say buy it. Even if it needs a little sweetening, there's a lot there for $200...and it'd be useable as is while you go about figuring out mods.
  9. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    If it's sealed, you could port it in the rear using four, 3" pipes for "common" 12's.. Or four 4" pipes if you reload it with high excursion type woofers (xmax more than 5-6mm).
  10. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

I'm with CL on this one. Nothing about this cab looks appealing to me.
  11. Justice

Justice

Disclosures:
    mmmm delicious cake...
  12. KablesP

KablesP

I'm not looking to buy this cab, just wanted some opinions on it. Actually, I am looking for a 210 to go with my 210.
  13. MysticMichael

MysticMichael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

How would you know that the enclosure is even a good match for the drivers, i.e. properly designed to complement the speakers' tonal characteristics, speakers well-chosen to complement the enclosure, properly ported & tuned, etc.? And if you don't know any of that, how would you even know whether the cab is a decent investment?

Too many unanswered questions. It's not like in guitarland...where you can just stick your speakers of choice into a box and be done with it.

MM