How would you describe this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cronker, Feb 17, 2014.

1. cronker

cronker

Okies, so long story short, got some money from a long service payout some years ago. Did some research on here. Because I live in a small town with only two guitar shops, and being Australian Lefty Bassist, not much option to pick up an instrument an give it a try.
    Ordered a Stingray 5 from the catalogue : fretted, wood grain clear finish, maple neck satin, pearloid guard.
    Told it would take 3 months to make and deliver.
    5 months later, no sign. Got angry, asked for complete refund (I paid upfront) and dealer got panicked and promised some recourse. Anyway, 7 months later received my instrument and was lovely. Still love it today.

Question: it's not a custom? It's a factory made customer order. What do we call them?
  2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

If it was made to your specs, it's a custom bass.
  3. rubato

rubato

I would not call it a "custom bass" It was built from MusicMan's available factory options. If you want a color or variant that is not offered in the catalog you had better be a major star or have done something to get on the right side of Sterling Ball because MusicMan does not as a rule build instruments to their customers whims.

What I would call it is shuck and jive from your dealer. I believe 10 to 12 weeks is about average turnaround on an order... maybe another week to ship it to OZ.
  4. SJan3

SJan3

It's just a standard instrument. Nothing custom about it.
  5. cronker

cronker

That's what i thought.

I understand that they only flip the equipment once every three months to make the lefty versions, but 7 months?
  6. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Perhaps they only did a run when they had enough orders to justify the retool. I ordered a Fender Custom Classic Jazz a few years ago. It was a production model and it took 10 months to get it. 7 months? you got off easy!:D
  7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

EBMM don't inventory any instruments. Everything is made upon receipt of a order placed by their dealer network and immediately shipped out as soon as the instrument is finished. Normal turn around time is usually 5 mths. A lefty might take a little longer plus shipping to Australia could add to that.

I've ordered many EBMM basses over the past 7 years and they all took 5 mths to arrive.

TD