1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How would you describe this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cronker, Feb 17, 2014.

1. cronker

cronker

Okies, so long story short, got some money from a long service payout some years ago. Did some research on here. Because I live in a small town with only two guitar shops, and being Australian Lefty Bassist, not much option to pick up an instrument an give it a try.
    Ordered a Stingray 5 from the catalogue : fretted, wood grain clear finish, maple neck satin, pearloid guard.
    Told it would take 3 months to make and deliver.
    5 months later, no sign. Got angry, asked for complete refund (I paid upfront) and dealer got panicked and promised some recourse. Anyway, 7 months later received my instrument and was lovely. Still love it today.

Question: it's not a custom? It's a factory made customer order. What do we call them?
  2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

If it was made to your specs, it's a custom bass.
  3. rubato

rubato

I would not call it a "custom bass" It was built from MusicMan's available factory options. If you want a color or variant that is not offered in the catalog you had better be a major star or have done something to get on the right side of Sterling Ball because MusicMan does not as a rule build instruments to their customers whims.

What I would call it is shuck and jive from your dealer. I believe 10 to 12 weeks is about average turnaround on an order... maybe another week to ship it to OZ.
  4. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

It's just a standard instrument. Nothing custom about it.
  5. cronker

cronker

That's what i thought.

I understand that they only flip the equipment once every three months to make the lefty versions, but 7 months?
  6. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Perhaps they only did a run when they had enough orders to justify the retool. I ordered a Fender Custom Classic Jazz a few years ago. It was a production model and it took 10 months to get it. 7 months? you got off easy!:D
  7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

EBMM don't inventory any instruments. Everything is made upon receipt of a order placed by their dealer network and immediately shipped out as soon as the instrument is finished. Normal turn around time is usually 5 mths. A lefty might take a little longer plus shipping to Australia could add to that.

I've ordered many EBMM basses over the past 7 years and they all took 5 mths to arrive.

TD