1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How would you get this tone?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by k2aggie07, Jan 3, 2014.

1. k2aggie07

k2aggie07

I'm terrible at guessing pickups and tones... but I would hazard a guess that this is a p-bass recorded straight into the deck with some EQ'ing and perhaps a little compression.

Whitey - Stay on the outside

How would you achieve this recording tone?

2. bassfart

bassfart Gold Supporting Member

It sounds like he might be using a sansamp and playing with a pick. P bass with tone knob all the way on, and a bit of dirt dialled in on the sansamp.

3. Kbone_ATL

Kbone_ATL

I can get this almost exact tone with my Schecter with 2 EMG's with the bass almost 100% turned down... Going through a GK 700 RB with 4x10 NEO.

I'm willing to bet a Sansamp could get that natively but it's missing a lot of low end IMO.

4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Assuming you're talking about the main riff throughout the song...Ric 4003, SS rounds, low action, played with a pick. I'm still not 100% convinced it's bass, but rather a downtuned guitar.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Baritone Guitar or Fender Bass VI.

Or a bass with slinky light guage round wound strings, low action, played with a pick, and some dirt, or distiotion added.