1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How you can sub for your own band! (Long, read)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Funkee1, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Funkee1

Funkee1

Ok, so...... Way back in August, I booked my band in a venue here. A week before the gig, my guitarist had a death in his family, and the memorial was the night we were supposed to play, so we had to cancel.

My drummer went in the night we were supposed to play, and got us another date, but he wrote it down wrong, or something. Hell, I don't know what went wrong. The date he gave us was a Friday, but they do not have bands on Friday!

When we figured this out, we called the club and tried to get the situation straight. Meanwhile, I took another gig with a different band on the night after we were booked, cause I didn't have anything, and need the money.

The club tells us the lady who handles the booking isn't in, but they aren't booking bands for November and December anyway, because of the cold (the venue is outside), so we would have been canceled anyway! :mad:

So everyone disperses, goes on with their lives, and I prepare to gig with the other band. I get a call to sub with a different band, a block away from the venue, so, again... i had nothing else to do and need the money, so I said yes!

Here's where it gets ridiculous:

I get a call from the girl who books Thursday, asking if my band is still available to play the venue Saturday! I tell her what the bar manager told us, and apologize profusely for the confusion, and go on about my business. She says she had another band in mind anyway, so All is good.

Meanwhile, the band I booked with for Saturday night has something happen. Someone dropped the ball somewhere, so there's no gig after all! :mad:

So now, I don't have a gig Saturday.

So, I'm playing with the guys I'm sitting in with last night, when THEY get a call about playing the other place Saturday night! They can't do it (and it would have been weird, since their bassist wouldn't have been able to do it, and I'd have to sub). But, I go ahead and text her. I figure I now have two bands available for that gig, right?

Wrong! I send texts to the first band, and everyone can do it but the singer!! He had made plans he wasn't willing to change, way back in August, when we were "booked" on Friday! :facepalm:

Band number two- Drummer's bass drum is broken, and the singer is out of town! He thinks he might be back in time to make the gig, but he's not sure. (Don't get me started on *** was he gonna do for the gig HE booked, that fell through....)

So, 2 hours, and 37 texts fly around and I can't pull either band together. So I call her back, and tell her we can't do it, and she tells me she's desperate!

So I put together a quorum of the available musicians, and we're gonna go save her bacon tonight!

So that's how you can get a gig, subbing for your own band! :D

2. Slade N

Slade N sunn #91 AZ Bands #? Supporting Member

thAts like reading a soap opera

3. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

"Confused? You WILL be, after this episode of...TB!"

4. Funkee1

Funkee1

It was like being in a soap opera!!

:D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. P Town

P Town Guest

On the night of the show, did you happen to see yourself walking out of the venue as you were walking in?

7. Funkee1

Funkee1

:D

No........but I wouldn't have been surprised!

The show went great. They promised to have ALL THREE BANDS back in the near future! Hopefully not on the same night, though......

8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Wow, huh. So how did the gig go last night?

9. Funkee1

Funkee1

It was quite cool, except that I had to handle all the singing. I do ok, but I am NOT really what I consider a good singer, but I do well as a frontman!

MY favorite on stage patter bit of the night was, as we were playing "3 Little Birds", I said:

"People keep requesting a country song.........well, this is it! Jamaica IS a country!"

10. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Way cool - lol yeah, I've always liked Bob Marley too. Thank for the update.

Cheers :)