1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Howard Stern

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Dec 11, 2013.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Any of you guys still listening to Howard Stern, or watching him on TV? I've been catching up with some of his interviews on youtube. Feel free to share any of your Howard memories. I really enjoyed the times when he had Stone Temple Pilots on his show to perform and interview. He recently did this with Metallica as well. The year and half debacle of the OJ drama was quite memorable.
  2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

He does nothing for me. I don't hate him, I just don't see where the hype is coming from, however his legion of fans are hard to dispute. When I feel like watching a TV host and cracking up I tend to look up Craig Ferguson.
  3. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

I love Stern and have been a listener for 25 years. Unfortunately, I've let my Sirius sub lapse, but I may renew it. I saw the first "Butt Bongo Fiesta" on VHS. It my experience that the name Stern, automatically invokes terribly negative reactions in people. However, I have found that he is very intelligent, a great interviewer, and fun. Sharing the lives of everyone on the show, and the transparency of it all is awesome. I miss Artie on the show. Once I ran into Crazy Alice on a bus and got video of her. It has a few bad words from her, so I'll post it if you give me permission Metal.
  4. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Booooo. Stern was great 10 years ago when he came to work every day and brought the funny. Nowadays he's basically an old lady that complains a lot. O&A for me, please, thank you.
  5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Will keep the Howard clips clean for this thread. ;)
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

I am impressed at how long he has been around, that's for sure. Every so often I tune into one of his channels on Sirius for some laughs. It usually doesn't disappoint. However, I find it too vulgar for me much of the time.

-Mike
  7. elgecko

elgecko

I used to be a security guard that would listen to classic rock all night. I remember getting mad the first the he came on air in LA (1990?), interrupting my music. Even though, I've been listening to him ever since. I got a lifetime subscription about eight years ago...best $400 bucks I've spent. The show definitely isn't what it used to be but he's still a great interviewer.

I *have* noticed that sound quality has gone downhill on satellite, even on the music channels which used to be somewhat okay. It sounds like a poorly ripped MP3. I'm glad I'm not paying for sub par sound quality.
  8. elgecko

elgecko

Current shows? The show has mellowed out significantly compared to the 90s.
  9. MJ5150

I haven't listened for a few months, but the last time I had it on every other word was the f-word and they were talking about women using an unkind word that started with the letter c.

-Mike
  10. buzzbass

buzzbass

Been a daily listener since '83 when he was @ W - NNNNNNNNNNNN - BC
  11. elgecko

elgecko

I guess they still stretch out every now and again.
  12. fmoore200

fmoore200

:D
  13. marko138

marko138

I still listen to him every day. But the show isn't nearly as good as it was even a few years ago. At times it's painful, but I still listen. I wish Sirius would stop acting like 2 different companies and unlock the XM channels without trying to charge me extra.

For that reason alone I'll be glad when they go out of business when Stern retires in a few years...even though I have 2 lifetime subs.
  14. MJ5150

Yeah, which is fine. Some people aren't as sensitive to it as others, no biggie.

-Mike
  15. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

I used to listen every day until he went to Sirius, mainly because I had to rise at 4 am to get ready for work and that's when his show was on (West Coast) and after a few months, I became a regular listener. I didn't care about interviews with pron hoes but he often had real people that I wanted to hear from on his show. Some of his stuff was funny.

The most memorable moment was 9/11. His show would air live from 3-6 am then repeat from the beginning at 6 and run until end of show. The local affiliate flipped the switch back to live radio as soon as the attacks happened and the rest of his show was riveting to say the least.
  16. elgecko

elgecko

I forgot about that. I woke up on 9/11 and turned on the radio like I did every day. That's how I heard the news.
  17. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

He's a very good interviewer. I've never had much use for the rest of the show, though.
  18. fmoore200

fmoore200

I always loved the news with Robin. It seemed like a jazz tune: here's the changes (various news stories) now let's riff.

Such spontaneity, whereas I could usually catch onto the bits he would write for the body of the show.
  19. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

As a Brit, the first real exposure I got was when I went to the cinema to see Private Parts. I seem to remember some real laugh out loud moments.
  20. Ironbar

Ironbar

I was a Stern listener for a few years back when he was still on the air for free. Then one day I was listening in and thought to myself, "This guy has absolutely nothing of any significance to say that is either funny or that enriches my life in any way."

I tuned him out and never listened again.