1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Howard's Feed-N-Wax on Unfinished Ebony Fingerboard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BBG4SII, Feb 2, 2014.

1. BBG4SII

BBG4SII

I have a Tony Franklin Fretless. The ebony on the fingerboard is unfinished. I would like to apply something on the fingerboard to help protect it. Can this product be used for this application and is it a good choice?

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Good question my martin has an ebony board also I'm curious also.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    I use it all the time on my boards but many will say it is too waxy. Boiled linseed oil works wonders as well IME.

4. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

Thanks. I've got a wear spot on my 30 year old Distillate that I'd like to cover up. Does that linseed stuff blend in well over a poly finish?

7. gebass6

gebass6

I have two TWB63 basses.Both are unpainted but sealed wood bodies.Ovangkol and Walnut.I use Howard's all over both of my basses whenever I put on new strings.

8. f64

f64 Supporting Member

Not to burst anyone's bubble here but I'd always been told to only use the thinnest of oils with no wax. I love Howard's, by the way. I use it on all my Warwick's and any other naturally finished body and neck, but not the fret board. From what I gather it's the bees wax in Howard's that a problem. Putting it on once isn't going to do any damage but a steady diet (4-5 times/year) will seal the ebony and that creates problems.
    Today I only use pure lemon oil or other compounds made for violins. One thing I use is called "Fret Doctor" at http://www.beafifer.com. I don't know if it works better than standard fret board oil from Gibson or Martin but the sales pitch sounds good. Ironically one major philharmonic orchestra here in NYC uses it also. That's where I heard about it.

ssabass and maestrovert like this.
  9. growlypants

growlypants

Pure Lemon Oil, twice a year. I just let it soak in with my finger only, spreading it across the board. Then wipe off any excess after a few minutes.

10. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

DreamError likes this.
  11. gebass6

gebass6

So what about rosewood?

12. michele

michele

That's the stuff Carl Thompson use all over his basses, fretboard included.

13. f64

f64 Supporting Member

I use lemon oil or Fret Doctor on Ebony, Rosewood and all my Warwick's and my Rob Allen. I think the target is keeping the board porous and not sealing it.

14. Teacher

Teacher

Any and all paste waxes have solvents in them, and wax is resolvable. When applied correctly (in a very thin layer and rubbed in), the solvents will resolve the old wax and mix it with the new. Because of this, you should be able to apply as many layers as you want and you will never have buildup. If someone's getting buildup, they're slathering on too much and not removing properly. By the way, wax is for shine only; protection-wise, it is the poorest of finishes.

15. gebass6

gebass6

OK.I'll assume the fact that it's beeswax and orange oil makes no difference.I'll check out lemon oil products.

16. telecopy

telecopy

Gerlitz Guitar Honey?

17. Teacher

Teacher

I should have written "as many TIMES," not " as many LAYERS."

18. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Zymöl Bridge.

Primarily marketed to the orchestral types (e.g. violin, viola, cello...) I have used it on ebony fretless fingerboard with results that pleased me. A small jar will last you a lifetime. Basically a hard carnuba wax. Melt a small amount between the fingertips and rub in, then polish off any excess.

I don't think there's much 'sealing' going on. I'm also not sure I'm buying the 'antimicrobial' properties touted in their current ad copy, but I like the product in spite of that...