1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

how's this bass tone?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Runlikegregg, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

we are just today releasing our album, yay!
    i LOVE this bass tone.
    we worked hard to get it right.
    what do you think?
    icedink.bandcamp.com

television ears!

LowF likes this.
  2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

icedink.bandcamp.com
    Your bass sounds great, especially in Stupidface. What do you play?
    I'm not a fan of instrumental music (can't even think of anything off the top of my head except for Duane Eddy and I do like him) but you guys sound very tight and I liked tracks 2, 6, 8, and 12. I imagine it was a conscious decision not to have a singer, but I wonder what a good singer would bring to your sound.

3. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Kudos man! Excellent bass tones Excellent performances, Excellent band and songs

4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

When I saw a thread about tone, I was expecting some kind of over-the-top, in-yer-face type of bass tone. I was pleasantly surprised to find something subtler. This is not "look at me" tone, it's "sit perfectly in the mix" tone. If I wasn't listening for it, I might not even notice the tone, but having focused in on it, I'm hearing some nice warm bottom, with enough top end sparkle to cut through, and a hint of growl. Very similar to what I go for, actually. In short: excellent.

But what I really like is the writing and playing. This is my kind of stuff. I'm hearing bits of Naked City, along with math rock stuff like Don Cab and earlier prog like Crimson too. Very eclectic and fun. I bet you guys are good live. You ever come upstate?

I like it instrumental. I think there's lots of territory that can be explored when you're not constrained to backing up a singer. And I think words put too much concrete meaning to music; I like to keep it in the realm of abstraction. Except for the occasional fill-in, I've been strictly instrumental since 2006. :cool:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

I play a G&L LB-100 with a Lollar pick-up.
    Man, do I love that Lollar!!
    For this (and maybe what I'll try to use forever more for recording) I went through an old Fender Bassman head through an old B-15 speaker. (The B-15N head was shot at the time.) It was mic-ed close with a large diaphragm mic and mixed with the direct signal from my bass. For Stupidface and some of the heavier parts throughout we added some extra grit/distortion in post-production using a RATT type distortion simulator.

I think, to be honest, we would never get a singer for a few different reasons. I know it alienates some people, but I guess you either like instrumental music or you don't!

Thanks a lot for listening!

7. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

I always love Bassman sound.
    The bass, I thought it was a Fender Precision LOL..was the first time I ever heard G&L LB-100...nice

8. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Thanks! I agree with all you're saying! Definitely some King Crimson and Don Cab in there. I don't really know Naked City very well, so I'll have to remedy that.

And thanks for hearing the tone. You got exactly what I'm going for. This is by far the best bass tone I've ever gotten and the whole point is to sound awesome while complimenting everything else. It's certainly easier as a 3 piece, but I guess it would also be easier to have a tone that sticks out more or overpowers more and that certainly isn't the point!

9. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

thanks. I love my G&L - especially with that Lollar pickup.
    But truthfully, it's probably not much different than a precision, huh?

10. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

if you can suggest some places, we would love to come upstate!
    we've played a lot of shows in and around NYC, but as the saying goes, we have to start taking this show on the road!
    If you know anywhere good, I would love some recommendations!

11. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

thanks, those are great compliments!

12. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Sorry, I haven't been back to this thread in a while. I was kind of avoiding the new TB format. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Anyhow, you guys would probably do well at Red Square, which does a lot of "musicianly" music. (Prog, fusion, jam, etc)

redsquarealbany.com

And Pauly's Hotel (not actually a hotel) has an eclectic mix of music

paulyshotel.com

13. McFarlin

McFarlin yep Supporting Member

This is great! (Realizing I'm about to spout rude snobbery) This is one of the few TB user bands I have enjoyed. I seem to always follow links to cracker boogie, sloppy 90s metal, or variety cover bands likely formed at a PTA meeting.

Can't give much feedback on the tone with this 13" laptop speaker, but seems to have a pleasant bit of growl.

SunnBass likes this.
  14. Machiavelli

Machiavelli

I kept thinking it needed more bottom end, but then realized I was just listening through my computer speakers. After putting on the headphones:

It's hard to separate my feelings about the overall music and the tone, just because you're aiming to do something that I would not normally be aiming to do. With that said, I thought the bass was clear, punchy, and definitely cut through the mix without trying to take center stage. I think the "There's a bee in here" track is the most representative of the tone through the album.

I really like what you did on the "Plastic Man..." cut. It just feels like you're driving the whole thing, which as bass enthusiast, I like to hear.

Personally, it was a bit mid heavy for me, but that's what you're aiming for, so kudos.

15. SuperSubSonicRainboom

SuperSubSonicRainboom Banned

the guitar player must have mixed the song because thats all you can hear...well i can barley hear the bass under a hale of cymbals and like having your head in the guitar's plexi cab. sounds fun to play with earplugs

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  16. LowF

LowF

Great stuff, as mentioned before, I can definitely hear the Crimson and a little Vai (from Flexibles). Basically good old school prog rock with a touch of humour. I also think the bass could have been higher in the mix (I know, a weird thing to hear here.) Maybe rather than upping the db levels, some colouring with a chorus or something would help it stand out. Myself, I would add over drive, but that's not the tone you're looking for. You seem to prefer a cleaner tone with a sprinkle of grit. I myself listen to a lot heavier stuff, but I also really enjoy basic blues and psycho-billy stuff too. Great work from all of you.

17. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

GREAT THANKS! I'll check these out today. Maybe we'll be up your way later this year!

and yeah, I'm trying to get used to the new interface as well!

18. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

i'm not typically a fan of snobbery, but in this case snob away!!! ha ha ha!
    but really, thanks a lot man. That's really awesome to hear!

19. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

That's cool. thanks! and thanks for checking it out and giving an honest critic.
    It's funny you should say that about 'Bee', you're not the only one. There's actually little more overdrive on the bass in that track than most of the others.
    In terms of mids, it's a new experience for me to go so mid-heavy but I've really been digging it kind of all around, but especially with this band. What I was going for is exactly what you said: clear and punchy, cut through the mix without taking center stage. I do think the heavy mids had a huge hand in achieving that.

Thanks again for checking it out!

20. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

ha ha ha...really?!? wow! I don't feel that way at all. but you nailed it in that the guitar is playing through a plexi. thanks for checking it out!

21. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk Supporting Member

sounds like mr. bungle, estradasphere, tera melos-ish. i dig it.