1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

HPF3 Farting with Full Circle

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Nate74, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

I put a Full Circle pickup on me Eminence EUB and now my HPF3 started making an overdriven fatty sound on notes below the low G. When I bypass it and go straight into my Clarus, no issues. The low battery light isn't on on the HPF3. Am I over driving the HPF's input maybe? I usually have the volume on the HPF all the way up btw. Thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

The volume pot is at the output, not the input, so the input could be overdriven (theoretically). The HPF1 and 2 would not be overdriven by that, but since the HPF3 usus OpAmps, we cannot be completly sure. Ask Francis.

3. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

Thank you/Danke sehr

I just sent a note to Mr. FDeck. Interestingly, with my Full Circle equipped Shen into the HPF3 doesn't do this. I'm hoping to get some time tonight to play around some more. Might as well try swapping the battery, though it's only a few weeks old...

4. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

If you left the amp cable in the FDeck it could have drained the battery over this time. And OpAmps (usually) don't like when the power voltage goes down. Unpleasant distortion might appear. So, check the battery.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

Could be. First thing I'll check when I get home. Thanks!

7. robgrow

robgrow

Are you using the Fishman-supplied output jack with the Full Circle on your Eminence bass?

The jack that comes with the FC lowers the pickup's output significantly, and some inputs are easily overloaded without it.

The AI Clarus input has exceptionally wide dynamic range and can deal with a very hot signal.

8. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

Yes, I'm using the supplied jack. I removed the little metal flange that is meant for after-length mounting and then put a couple layers of shrink tubing around it so the mounts on the tail piece of the Eminence would hold it snuggly. Interesting to know though as I was toying with swapping it out...

9. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

Well, the wife and daughter were home when I got home so no bass playing tonight. I did pull the 9V battery out of the HPF and it only read 5.04V on my meter so I'm guessing that was the issue. I have rehearsal Wednesday so should be able to verify it, but I suspect that's it.

I'm now wondering about battery life. I really can't remember if I put a new or "pre used" battery in it when it arrived. This time around, I know for sure since I'll (hopefully) remember this thread :0

10. MR PC

MR PC

5v, it's dead, Jim.;)

11. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

Yup. Didn't entirely trust the meter so did the fool proof tongue test... Dead indeed.

12. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

Remember to unplug the HPF output. You could easily drain a battery if you let it connected over a longer period of time. Let it be connected for some days and the battery might get empty.

13. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

The HPF 3 has a little red battery led. When you connect a cable to the output on the HPF it flashes once, to tell you the battery is good.
    It's a one time event, but it should have stopped flashing to tell you that the 9 volt was drained. Something that will good to remember.

Ric

14. Clarkybass

Clarkybass Supporting Member

I have a Full Circle on my 3/4 German flatback and, while my Series 3 fdeck doesn't 'fart out' through my EA or AI amps, it does seem to compress the E string notes a bit. This is more noticeable as I engage the HPF to more pronounced levels but its even there at the lowest setting. Doesn't especially bother me but I didn't notice this when I had the Series 2. Just to clarify, I am not referring to it cutting low frequencies (which is its job), I am referring to the shape of the note which falls away faster than naturally (akin to a compressor squishing an electric bass note, albeit much more gently)

15. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

Ric - That's right! I'd forgotten that but sure enough, the new battery is flashing and that old one wasn't. Now plenty of proof that the battery was to blame. I'm also going to guess that because the HPF circuit is more active when I'm playing lower notes, the distortion was more noticeable in that range of the instrument. I won't get to check it out tonight but bet it'll be good2go tomorrow at practice!

16. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

The distortion is more present on low notes because lower notes need a higher amplitude to be heard at the same level than higher notes. You don't need to pluck harder to get that, it is "built-in"-to the physics of the instrument.

Compression does the opposite of what Clarkybass describes. It makes quieter notes a bit louder and/or louder notes a bit quiter. So you get more sustain from compression but less dynamic range. (Usually you make up the level to get the same volume from loud notes with and without compression, so effectively you make quieter levels louder.)

17. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

Interesting manifestation of this with the distortion effect. Well, interesting to a geek like me at least :)

18. MR PC

MR PC

These observations apply to the way my Series 2 sounds as the battery runs down below about 8.5 volts. Very subtle, but I can can tell the difference when changing for a new battery. I get plenty of time before the battery goes down to that point.....several gigs worth.