huge request from you DarkGlass B7K users ....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ilansgroove, Feb 21, 2014.

1. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

I had this pedal in mind for a while now .... and i'm about to order it soon (as soon as i get payed hehehheh)

is there anyone out there that owns the B7K and a Bass Driver DI , who can make a small sound demo of a clean PreAmp , comparing the two ? If you happen to be a MM stingray player that would be all the more amazing :)

thanks ...

2. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

3. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

I have a B7K and a 5-string MM Stingray, but no Bass Driver DI.

4. jdwhitak

jdwhitak Supporting Member

I'm not able to make a demo for you, but I own/owned both of these pedals. They both have their merits. I really all depends on what you are going for. After being around the block on preamp pedals I've come to the conclusion there is no be all end all preamp. I have different preamps for different purposes.

BDDI:
    I think this is the fatter sounding of the two with a more old school vibe. The B7K doesn't have tube/speaker emulation like the BDDI does. Because of the emulation I think the BDDI lends itself better to direct recording or going straight into a PA. I thought the presence control was pretty useful on this pedal too. A lot of nuance in there!

B7K
    I think the B7K is better suited to modern distortion sounds. The Grunt and Attack toggles give more sonic versatility. With the four band EQ this pedal is a little harder to dial in for me.

You should probably just buy both. I ended up selling the BDDI and getting a Vintage Deluxe to go with my B7k.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Media:
    I've got clips of both plus a lot more. Check the link in my signature. Though my clips aren't clean.

7. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

I already have the BDDI , and wanted to switch to a brighter PreAmp.
    Sometimes with the BDDI when the bled is beyond 12 o'clock , the slap sounds like its a little distorted , and not in a good way...

8. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

Could you record just a few seconds playing some different styles with it as a clean PreAmp??

9. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

Great page, will look it up (need flash, right now I'm with an iPad)

Thanks !!!

10. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

i have a feeling i will end up having both of them on my pedalboard ...

11. Adamixoye

I've been meaning to do more recording, just for the heck of it. Can't promise anything soon, but I'll see what I can do.

12. johnbegone

Media:
    While the B7K CAN be a clean preamp, I would say it's not the real selling feature. If you're looking for a totally clean preamp the Sadowsky or Aguilar Tone Hammer might be a better fit for you.

13. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

cool thanks ....... no pressure :D

14. Adamixoye

+100000000

I respect but don't get all the people around here who are dedicated to using the B7K clean. Especially when some of them don't shy away from dirt in general...

15. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

the demo you noted at "light" , that's the kind of "clean" i'm looking for ... from what I hear on your demos, the aguilar is much brighter, i really prefer the B7K sounds to the aguilar, and you can clearly hear the difference with the BDDI, which is much more muddy kind of sound !!!

i'm pretty convinced that it would be a PreAmp that I'll keep.

will let you know (if you care) once I have ... one thing for sure , i'll make some sound demos !!!! :)

by the way, just watched "Hidden Hospitals | The Absence of Emotion" nice !!!! :bassist:

16. johnbegone

Media:
    I would say the B7K is brighter than the Aguilar in my experience. The EQ controls are much more powerful on the TH, in my opinion. That said, I tend to turn down the treble and hi mids on the B7K quite a bit because I think it is inherently very bright. Maybe that's what you're hearing.

Glad my clips could help out. Hopefully you love the B7K and if you can record some clips that will be great! Can never have enough.

Glad you dug our song/video! :)