1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hum from VT Bass Deluxe FX Loop

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sgt_Pappar, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Sgt_Pappar

Sgt_Pappar

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a VT Bass Deluxe to add some tonal options to my sound.

The pedal chain goes like this:

Korg Tuner --> Tech21 Red Ripper --> Jam Dynassor Compressor --> VT Bass --> FX Send --> EBS Tremolo --> TC Flashback --> TC Hall of Fame --> FX Return --> TC BG500

All the pedals are powered by a Voodoo Lab Power Pedal 2. The current draw is 100mA or less for each pedal.

The problem is that when I activate the FX Loop there is a noticeable hum coming from the speaker. :confused:

If I put the effects after the VT Bass (like this: Korg Tuner --> Tech21 Red Ripper --> Jam Dynassor Compressor --> VT Bass --> EBS Tremolo --> TC Flashback --> TC Hall of Fame --> TC BG500) the hum is gone and everything is quiet.

If I stop power supplying the pedals in the loop then everything is quiet again (the sound goes through as they are true bypass pedals).

As I would like to send my signal to the PA from the VT Bass DI, I need those modulation pedals in the FX Loop without the annoying hum.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of it? Any help would be highly appreciated. :help:
  2. alec

alec

What if you power those pedals from batteries?
  3. Sgt_Pappar

Sgt_Pappar

I tried everything yesterday and I noticed that when the jack cables linking the pedals of the loop were far from the Voodoo Power Pedal the hum disappeared. In the configuration of my pedaltrain, 2 of the jack cables of the loop pedals (2 of the loop pedals also) are right above the Voodoo Power Pedal. It must be a "magnetic field thing" which creates the hum when the FX Loop is on, or something like that.

As I don't have enough space on my pedalboard to reconfigure the pedals, is there a simple way to isolate the Voodoo Power Pedal (which is mounted under the Pedaltrain) from the jack cables?