Human Trafficking

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Mar 5, 2014.

1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

As of 2013, the U.S. government estimates that at any given time, approximately 27 million men, women, and children may be victims of human trafficking and within that 27 million, 18,000 people from over 50 countries are trafficked into the United States every year and over 300,000 children are trafficked within the U.S. annually.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_trafficking
    A lot of the victims a are women and children. The children are used for forced labor 12 per day 7 days per week and usually receive no education. The children are also used in brothels, as child soldiers and sometimes their organs are harvested.
    It is estimated that human trafficking is a 32 billion dollar industry. A pimp can earn $67,000 from one girl.
    It is not limited to just one country or region. Some estimates say there are 60,000 slaves in the U.S. A lot of them in California and in the San Francisco Bay Area where I live.
    If you do a search online for "human trafficking" you will find all kinds of information. To me it is staggering. There is all kinds of injustice in this world but I believe this is one of the worst. When a child is sold into slavery they are robbed of there very soul. They become property and not a human being.
    There are all kinds of ways you can help. If you do a search there are a lot of organizations fighting to end human slavery.
    Here is a local one for me:
    http://www.freedomhousesf.org/
    It is not enough to free people from slavery, that is just the beginning. When that happens they need a lot of help to recover from a lifetime of abuse. That is what this organization does.
    There are a lot of ways to help this is just one.
  2. elgecko

elgecko

3. slobake

4. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

This is pretty much my argument whenever someone hands me the "god has a plan for you" or "god won't give you anything he doesn't think you can handle" lines. Really? So god's plan for these 27 million people is that they should be abused in horrible ways, because that's what they can handle?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ZenG

ZenG

Uh oh.......
  7. slobake

What?
  8. ZenG

ZenG

Post #4 has "derail" written all over it......
  9. slobake

I see what you are saying. Still Jenny has a right to post here, the diverstiy of opinions is what makes things interesting.
  10. ZenG

ZenG

Right ...no problem....:)

(No offence , Jenny.....)
  11. bassinplace

bassinplace

Anyone who rides a Suzuki's opinion is okay with me. ;) That link to the story was just horrible. I'm glad to see everything eventually turned out okay for that poor girl.
  12. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

That syntax seriously threw me for a loop
  13. bassinplace

bassinplace

It's correct! I think. :ninja: Let me rephrase; the opinion of anyone who rides a Suzuki is okay with me. There we go. :)
  14. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

I reworded it in my head as "I am okay with the opinion of he or she who rides a Suzuki". I know, a mouthful, but that let it register in my hear. Whatcha gonna do? :p
  15. FilterFunk

FilterFunk

Thank you so much for posting this part. Too many people read about gut-wrenching issues and rail against God and those who believe in Him, but don't lift a finger to help.

Get sick to your stomach, blame God, go on with your life. Doesn't help at all. Whether you believe or don't believe, at least do something, or kindly keep the blame to yourself.
  16. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

A few of my friends are working on a musical project to raise awareness about this. I'll post a link when I get in front of a computer.
  17. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Give Me Chocolate! Gold Supporting Member

Not to further derail the thread, but isn't it true that not all christians believe that god is in control of everything that happens to individual lives? "God wants you to help Your self" or something like that?

And by extension, saying that you don't like to hear people claiming that "god has a plan for everyone" is not necessarily blaming god at all, but rather saying that bad things will happen because certain people employ their god-given free will to do bad things?

And that it is up to each and everyone of us to try to stop bad people from doing bad things, rather than sitting on our asses expecting god to do it for us?

I'm not a believer, so I don't really know. Slobake, am I making any sense here? :confused:
  18. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    A great book on human trafficking, but one that should only be read in smaller doses to retain your sanity, is Invisible Chains by Benjamin Perrin
    Its focus is on Canada, but it is scary.
    It has tips on how you can help.
    Very useful book, and an eye opener.

It was recommended to me by a friend who works for an organization that helps sex trade workers make another life for themselves.

He's part of the solution.

Get the book, read it, and then follow up in some way.
  19. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

20. slobake

That's great. I look forward yo seeing the link.
  21. slobake

It makes sense to me. Wouldn't it be great if we could forget our difference and all work together to make things better. Some people already do.