1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Humbucker in single jazz pup formfactor

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sninja, Feb 17, 2014.

1. sninja

sninja

Hi there, I'm looking for humbucker (no stack) in SINGLE jazz pup to install it in bridge position. Wanna get kinda stingray sounds from my jazz, but don't wanna buy stingray or install full MM pickup to my old jazz.
    Does anybody makes this kind of pickup, where coils are parallel, (not a stack humbucker like DiMarzio Model J) ?
    Can I buy DiMarzio hotrail for strat and reassemble it to fit my jazz pup cover?
    This is what i mean
    http://www.sgd-lutherie.com/images/neojazzbucker.jpg

2. tom-g

tom-g

Um, the Model J is not stacked. It's exactly what you want. Tonewise, of course, you will have to decide.

3. sninja

sninja

Thanks! I'll take a closer look on this pups!

4. IWieldTheSpade

IWieldTheSpade

The Dimarzio Model J is a split coil pickup, kinda like a P pickup where one coil picks up only one pair of strings. OP wants something that's like a standard humbucker coil configuration in jazz size.

Sninja, you probably won't get too much in the way of Stingray type sounds with that setup, general consensus seems to be that a lot of that tone comes from the position of the pickup, and I'm pretty sure the big fat humbucker has something to do with it too. That said, a humbucker in the bridge position of your jazz will definitely give you a bit more beef to your sound

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ex-tension

ex-tension

7. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

Delano has the awesome-looking JMVC 4 FE/M2 - always wanted to try one!

[​IMG]

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Those Delano's are split coils just like the DiMarzio's.

Those SGD Jazzbuckers are what I would go with. They are outstanding. Order them from Best Bass Gear, and only if they have them in stock.

9. sninja

sninja

10. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Barden makes a rails humbucking J pickup.

To get more highs & lows like a MM, I'd look at a DiMarzio UltraJazz. To me, the J is more middy and growly.

Others who make end to end humbuckers: Bart, Fralin, the new Fender N3, Aguilar, possibly others.

11. Rodent

Rodent

Disclosures:
    Player/Builder/Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    a side by side split-coil stealthily fits inside a regular J cover without visually revealing itself. here's what the coils look like prior to being connected together and loaded into a cover. that's a single-coil J5 pickup for reference

Attached Files:

12. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Hmm. With the large single-pole per string, and the articulation characteristics that single pole-per-string pickups have, including MM, that might very well be a good pickup for the OP's application, indeed.

13. JustForSport

JustForSport

Wide or narrow aperture sensing fields will have a significant affect...