1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Humbuckers on a pbass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TheFenderBender, Jan 1, 2013.

1. TheFenderBender

TheFenderBender

I've seen them on a couple of basses, most notably the bassist for twisted sister, but you can hardly hear him half the time, so I dont really know much about it. Anyone with experience playing or owning a bass like this want to give some input?

2. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

I think the twisted sister bass you're referring to is a G&L.
    As a G&L player, I can say that the humbucker in the precision pickup or middle position is probably my favorite setup. Provided it's the right humbucker... they can vary dramatically from brand to brand and model to model. In the case of G&L basses, they use MFD humbuckers which are fantastic in every way IMO.

3. TheFenderBender

TheFenderBender

Thanks, I call every paired pup a humbucker, habit I guess as everyone else in my family plays guitar. Thanks for the feedback, too.

4. line6man

line6man

Most P basses have humbuckers, except the early ones with single coil pickups. What sort of humbucker are you referring to?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Ya the split p pickup IS a humbucker!!!

[​IMG]

This kind of pickup is a single coil ...

[​IMG]

7. micgtr71

micgtr71

The soapbar pickup humbucker sounds good in a p bass. I played a peavey palaedium which was based upon Jeff Berlin's p bass. I really liked it for the punch, but it did not sound as good as the regular split humbucker IMO...Jeff Berlin made that setup sound good though.

8. megafiddle

megafiddle

Humbucker often refers to the Gibson style pickups, where there are two single coil pickups
    spanning all 4 strings, and wired reverse wound, reverse polarity, and combined into a single
    "pickup".
    The standard P bass pickup senses the strings like a single coil, as each string only sees one
    of the coils. With a Gibson style humbucker, each string sees two coils.