Humbucking jazz pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by invalidprotocol, Dec 31, 2012.

1. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

I have a 2008 Fender American Standard jazz bass. Some time back I upgraded the stock pickups to the Fender Custom Shop 60's. I gained warmer thicker mids, less boomy lows, slightly subdued upper range, creating a nice woody growl. The upgrade accomplished exactly what I was looking for.

However, now I'm growing tired of 60 cycle hum and am considering a set of humbucking jazz pickups. I'd like to accomplish tone similar to what I have now with the CS 60's. From the sound samples I've listened to the Dimarzio Model J's sound pretty darn good in series or parallel. Looks like I'd have to put them in series to maintain a similar thickness of tone but I was concerned they might be too high of output.

I play mostly fingerstyle over the neck pickup and favor neck pickup by rolling off the bridge by about 20%. Looking for warmth over potency and subdued highs are good because this bass is a little on the bright side with its maple fretboard.

Your thoughts, ideas, alternatives etc, please Thanks!

2. Jazz4

Jazz4

I personally like the DiMarzio DP123's. They would work real fine with your Jazz.

3. Santaniello

Santaniello

I installed EMG stacked humbuckers (Active 18volt) in my early 70's fender jazz bass. No mods were needed to the bass, the pickups fit perfectly and the batteries lay flat in the bottom of the control cavity.
    I love the tone and... No noise.... It's been a while since I installed them but I think they were Model:LJ, J(set)

4. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

DiMarzio Model J's will do justice to just about any J-style instrument, if one is looking for a meaty rock-oriented tone. The real surprise for me is how one can get close to tamed 'Ray territory, when favoring and playing over the bridge pickup, under the right EQ settings.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. invalidprotocol

I like the JVX the best of the EMG J series. It sounds really awesome but I think they might be a little bright for this bass.

7. Mtnman

Mtnman

I installed Bart Jazz humbuckers in my MIM and I'm running them passively. Sounds great to my ears and no hum!!!

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Model Js are certainly the best humbucking J-style pickups I know to fit your tone requirements. Not saying they're "the best". Just the best that I know. :meh:

I have a set in my Carvin LB70F (fretless), and I use them with an 18-volt Bartolini NTMB onboard preamp. They sound good in either parallel or series mode, so I use them both ways.

One caveat: Model Js have BIG lows. Not necessarily boomy, at least not in my experience. But definitely powerful. Be prepared for that.

I don't know how much output is "too much" output for you. But for me - and even used in conjunction with the Bart preamp - they don't overwhelm. YMMV...

MM

9. invalidprotocol

The Dimarzio Model Js sound pretty yummy blended. Maybe a little too much P tone when neck only. Apparently entirely in parallel from the notes.

What about the Area Js? Not much sound samples that I can find on YT. How bright are they in comparison to the CS 60's or other similar single coil pickups?

10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

I have a set of the Area J's, and while I am not familiar with the CS pickups, I'd say the Areas are about as bright as typical stock MIA Fender single coils. They are definitely in the "traditional" camp, and I think they're excellent. Based on your goals, however, I highly recommend Lindy Fralin's Split-Jazz, which I use in another bass. They have slightly more output and stronger, thicker lows than the Areas, and slightly mellowed highs. The differences are not dramatic by any means, but they are noticeable, and I prefer the Fralins by a slim margin. I like rolling off the bridge pickup like you do, and set like that, they growl like crazy IMO.