Humming noise from fender deluxe pj bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoshMac311, Jan 31, 2014.

1. JoshMac311

JoshMac311

If I turn the tone up around 50% or greater, I get a humming sound from the amp. If I touch the strings or the control knob it pretty much goes away. (no hum when tone is down, even with the J pickup wide open). Just wondering if this is normal interference or if there might be a larger problem at hand. (just got this bass)
  2. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

Ive had thus problem with several Fenders. It could be that the cavity needs shielding ?
  3. Steveaux

Steveaux

No bridge ground.
  4. DionClassic

DionClassic

I have this same problem with my deluxe, had everything gone over on it and they said that the precision pickup poles aren't grounded and... I'm assuming thats how it goes? I'm assing he would have fixed that if he could...
  5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Sounds like a shielding issue to me. Noise goes away when you touch metal/strings/bridge indicates a shielding issue. Common Fender problem.
  6. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

ime this issue varies from pickup to pickup regardless of whatever the hell else you take care of. Advice: don't sweat it too much as you will generally be touching the strings or the knobs or the bridge, etc. at all times when anybody will be within earshot. Does drive you batty when you're at home listening for it, I'll give you that. There are some technical and/or 2-pickup knob level relation/fluorescent lighting fixes but sometimes it just never goes away, only improves.
  7. JoshMac311

JoshMac311

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping it was just the "way it is" and nothing serious. And, you are right, when I am playing it doesn't bother me at all. I was just starting to obsess over it, worrying there was something wrong. Thanks. I feel lot better. I usually keep the town down anyway! Thanks again
  8. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

SHield it and I'd bet most of the hum goes away.

BTW, the bridge clearly IS ground connected since the noise goes away when you touch the strings.
  9. Mushroo

Mushroo

You would notice a PJ bass being noisy if you are used to playing either a P or a JJ, because P and JJ are both "humbucking" combinations, whereas PJ is not (unless you roll off the J and use only the P).

That said, even single coil pickups like J's can have a wide range of noisiness depending on shielding, grounding, electronics, effects, amplification, the electronics in your house, other sources of interference, etc...

I agree with the statement above that your ground is NOT broken.
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

While shielding issue are common with Fenders I still consider them a serious issue and it is not the way they are supposed to be, Fender is just too lazy (i.e. cheap) to do a proper shielding job. I personally would not gig your bass or take it to a studio, because in my opinion it is broken. Lots of guys choose to live with it, all the power to them, but not this guy.

You cannot remove that hum but you can make it so negligible it will not matter. All you need is some copper foil tape and do a little soldering, maybe 1 hour of labour is involved.
  11. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Humming or buzzing? There's a difference. Humming usually means a grounding issue, either with the bass, or somewhere else in the signal chain, and maybe your power source.

If you're talking about buzzing coming from a s/c pickup, then that's normal and has nothing to do with the brand of bass. You can add shielding which may or may not help much.

As mentioned, a PJ setup with a s/c bridge pickup is going to buzz unless you roll off its volume. Some players like dual-coil jazz pickups because they're quiet.
  12. aquamentus

aquamentus Supporting Member

I just rebuilt an Ibanez Soundgear and shielded it with aluminm foil. Yeah, I know. But it worked. Took it to practice and there was ZERO buzzing. The next day I plug it in and everytime I take my hands off the strings...BUUUZZZZZZ! So, I ordered some copper shielding and I'm gonna have to totally redo it. Not sure why it was fine the first time I played it.

*Edit*
    OK, update here on this post. I took the above mentioned bass to our gig tonight. No buzz. None. Zero. Must be my electrical outlet at home. But no other bass I have does it through my amp using that outlet. I don't know.