Humphrey Audio modded Bad Monkey (Badder Bass Monkey)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by H3R3T1K, Dec 19, 2013.

1. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

I'm not quite happy with the BM. It sounds muffled with all knobs at noon and lacks definition compared to my Hardwire CM-2. I don't remember my unmodded BM sounding as loose as this. I really have to dial in some highs for it to get better. But once I touch the tone knob I'm there again. Maybe some other owners of modded BMs can chime in.

Edit: Complaint about noise issues with the Boss CS3 also modded by HA for bass proved to be a power supply fault!

2. therhodeo

therhodeo

And you're 100% sure you did the mods correctly? I mean before you tried to slag the company online and pawn the messed up pedals off on someone on ebay.

3. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde

As far as I can tell Humphrey Audio does the mods, which is why H3R3T1K is complaining about shipping fees to Germany.

Heretic, why not take Humphrey Audio up on their return policy? It seems to be pretty good:
    All of our pedals and customer mods are guaranteed for life. If anything goes wrong, we will fix it or replace it.
    If a customer is unsatisfied with the tone and performance of the pedal after a mod, we reserve the
    right to repair or adjust the mod.
    We will not restore a modded pedal to stock as all of the old
    parts are inferior and they are discarded at the time of the mod. We will trade the customer a stock pedal
    in like condition and refund 100% of the money including shipping.

It seems unfair to knock the company before contacting them to work out a solution to your problem :meh: Just sayin'

4. therhodeo

therhodeo

My mistake.

And you already brought my next question. Either way it sounds like something is wrong with them and unloading them on Ebay isn't right.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    WHAT???!!! I just bought these from you on eBay, then come here to read about all of the problems with the things you just sold me???

I'm totally joking. Though someone else might not see the humor.

7. Swift713

Swift713

If your BM is too muffled try either lifting a cheek or perhaps a "wider stance" to get more resonance out of the bowl. :-o

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
  9. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

I don't think the return policy does me much good because I'm in Germany. I cannot get back what I paid at customs (~58 USD). If Mark from Humphrey sends me stock pedals I will have to pay customs again and that's just not worth it for the kind of pedals I ordered. That's what's hard to swallow. But ***, you can order a 350 USD boutique pedal and find out it's not for you I guess.

I just feel like I need to tell people my humble opionion about what I got. Regarding ebay you guys are probably right. Not OK to put them on there. Guess I'm gonna have some bass-buddies over and see what they think.

PS: I have to take back the noise issue with the Boss. It's not there anymore after switching power supplies!

Also changed the language of the first post. Honestly didn't mean to bash Humphrey Audio.

10. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde

By all means sell the pedals on Ebay or here. They are yours to sell and the mods are backed by the company so anyone who is looking for these pedals should have no problem at all...it just wasn't YOUR cup-o-tea. It sucks to be disappointed in new gear after having high expectations -- sorry man :(

11. humphreyaudio

humphreyaudio

There's really not much I can do if I'm not aware of your problems. My customer service reputation is the best. I take care of all customers personally. Our company had 6 product returns in 2013.

12. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

This is why it is good to learn to mod your own pedals rather than pay through the nose for somebody else to do the same $1.50 worth of mods...

If you want to un-muffle your BM, shift capacitor C5 down to something tiny like a 100pF capacitor. This allows a lot more treble content through the EQ section.

13. humphreyaudio

humphreyaudio

obviously you don't know what I do and are missing the point regarding the services I offer. You're entitled to your opinion, meanwhile my customers cannot be expected to do what I do on the bench. It's not that simple for most. Also not everyone has skills. I have hundreds of pedals in the bone pile which customers tried to mod first and then wanted me to rescue. But we digress from the point don't we!