1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Humpy fret - what to do?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Nov 11, 2012.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

I just bought an SX bass and everything is good about it except one fret high on the neck - the 19th or so. It's not fully seated and the ends are raised up a bit. I can fit my fingernail under the middle of the fret. I tried to hammer it in but it's not budging. What should I do? I could take it to a repair shop but is there something I could do to fix it?
  2. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Disclosures:
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system
    pull it...give it a little "bend" and tap it back in.
  3. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

I was wondering about that! I don't have a fret puller - what could I use?
  4. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

I use toenail clippers that I ground flat.
  5. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Clamp the ends down & wick thin CA glue in.
  6. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Disclosures:
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system
    A "cener-punch' under the "tang" to start it....work it back with a stout kinfe..or a chisel.....BE CAREFUL!...bend the ends down a tad with needle-nose pliers.....tap back in carefullly....if too loose use some crazy-glue to hold it back in.Put the fret back in...backwards from before to get better bite on it.