Hunters; a simple question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by basscooker, Jan 26, 2014.

1. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    I caught myself questioning the wardrobe of some guys on tv today. I really can't figure out the answer to this question: With the need and obvious reason for safety orange, why bother with camo? I'm not trying to make a joke, I really can't think of a reason for it. It has to be a simple explanation, but it's lost on me. If it is to help with breaking up the human shape, ok, but then why wouldn't you just have the entire pattern in oranges/etc and not a solid color vest covering most of the torso? Really kinda grinding my brain today and just had to put the question out there...
  2. paste

paste Supporting Member

From Yahoo Answers:

"Deer are essentially red-green color blind like some humans. Their color vision is limited to the short (blue) and middle (green) wavelength colors. As a result, deer likely can distinguish blue from red, but not green from red, or orange from red. Therefore, it appears that hunters would be equally suited wearing green, red, or orange clothing but perhaps slightly disadvantaged wearing blue."

"This question has been posed regarding deer a lot for the knowledge of hunters. While all hunters agree that deer have an amazing ability to detect movement, the consensus regarding their ability to see color is far less unanimous. While the debate over deer vision is not new, it has intensified in recent years as more states have required hunters to wear blaze orange clothing while hunting. Many hunters are concerned that wearing blaze orange reduces their chances of success."

"Another topic of debate is camouflage clothing. During the past decade, there has been a tremendous increase in the number and variety of camouflage patterns available to hunters. This has occurred despite little knowledge of what game animals actually see."
  3. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    So, no real b/w answer. I have seen camo print in bright colors, but I figured it was just a "fashion thang" (dunno whatup there). So by the reasoning above, why not just hunt in a red or orange gilley suit? Or skip the camo altogether, and do it Beau Brummel style?
  4. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Because camo is Bad A** and makes you look manly. .:bag:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Hey my boat is all camo painted. I love camo!
  7. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

Also..... all those in camo are not necessarily hunting deer.
    Turkeys for instance have amazing vision ....
  8. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    ^^^

Which brings me back to the original question... If turkeys, for instance, CAN see the orange, why wear the camo? I would imagine that if you're out on your own property or something, you could forgo the orange, but you sure wouldn't find me out anywhere in a hunting setting without it. (if I ever went hunting)
  9. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

In Pennsylvania, during certain game seasons, the amount of orange required is different. also during certain seasons orange may be removed while you're not moving. archery season no orange is required.

orange is obviously about safety and camo is about breaking up the human form. it really is that simple.

that question really doesn't make much sense
  10. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

And if the animal does't not perceive orange as a human does then we can have the bright camouflage. Thus safety from other human hunters and breaking up a hunting primates form when stalking game.
  11. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

depends on the animal. it's not one solution across the board.

also they make blaze orange camo.
  12. kikstand454

I believe in general.... orange isnt required in most other types of hunting because of the ranges involved in different game. Turkey hunting would not only be ruined by wearing blaze orange.... but also most turkey hunting is done in a situation where you're highly unlikely to mistake a human as a target. The edge of a clearing, with a shotgun loaded with bird shot, shooting at something within 30 yards of you.

Deer hunting by contrast is using a high powered rifle in dense bush at ranges that sometimes exceed 100yds. Lots of room for error there...
  13. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

???

So the turkeys can't see you. As mentioned it really depends on what and where you are hunting.

If you meant to ask why wear the orange, it's so other hunters can see you. It will impede your chances of getting an animal that can see well, but if you're out in an area with a bunch of other hunters it's just a smart idea so you don't get killed.
  14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Most States have "hunter orange" laws based on the game being hunted and the methods chosen.

With small game and bow hunting when the average shot is within fifty yards and the effective range of the weapons isn't a lot more, orange usually isn't required because the odds of a missed shot and not seeing a hunter are far smaller. Also some small game (waterfowl and turkey) are very wary and hunters need Camouflage in order to hide within shooting distance of them.

With larger game animals and centerfire rifles where 200 yard shots are fairly common and the effective range of the guns can be as high as a 6-700 yards the chances of not seeing a hunter hiding behind the animal you're shooting at are much greater. And while shotgun pellets will barely penetrate 150 yards away, an average deer gun could kill a man on a missed shot at 750 yards easy.
  15. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

It's pretty simple - it's a "happy medium" between not being seen by your quarry, vs being seen by other hunters.
  16. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    My question was more about why go through the effort of using the very effective camo just to cver up most of it with the orange. It's obvious why the orange is necessary, but from what I've seen, the sleeves and pants are really the only exposed camo most of the time. The short-wavelength explanation of the eyesight of some game seems to me the logical reason, but I don't hunt, and had never heard about that part. I guess like Relic said, as with about anything, finding the right amount of comprimise is what it's about.
  17. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Not sure where you hunt turkey but around here the typical ammo is a 12GA 3.5" magnum round loaded with 4 shot. More than enough to gut a man at 100 yards. I don't hunt anymore so I'm not sure of what the current regs are regards safety and how much orange you have to wear.

Back when I stayed in the woods during deer season we had to have a minimum of 1 square foot of "high visibility" color on our back. That was also back when the only place you could find cammo clothing was in the surplus store so we just wore regular jeans and a Dickies or Carhart brown canvas hunting coat with temp appropriate undergarments. We'd pin a piece of red or yellow cloth on the back of the coat and hit the woods.

Again, back when I was in the woods all the time, it was illegal to hunt on public land with a rifle, but that was not a problem because down in the heavy brush bottoms where the deer lived, a single projectile would hit something and ricochet off target so you wanted the handful of buckshot to increase your odds of getting a hit. This was also before the concept of deer management was more than thinning the herd enough to keep them from doing any serious damage to the crops in the summer. The area around SE Alabama was one of the most densely populated whitetail habitats in the nation outside of the everglades so we had a season that ran just over 3 months and had a bag limit of one buck a day and the last 6 weeks being one a day of any sex adult (no spots allowed) deer. If you bagged a doe you had to go to the local game warden for a tag and he would check weight, age, etc., and send you on your way. I started hunting with my dad when I was 7 and then on my own when I was 12. We were backed up to a 500 acre farm and were friends with the owner so we had free rein to hunt his place.
  18. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

I have gotten amazingly close to deer in the wild on several occasions wearing blue jeans and a bright red windbreaker, which convinced me that camo is not needed
    for deer hunting. Turkeys, yes.
  19. kikstand454

Ohhhhhhh I got you!
    If the deer hunter has to wear blaze orange and I going to stick with a solid color vest ..... why wear the rest of the camo?! OK....now I get your point. Good question. I think in some places..... the hunter orange only has to be worn while on the gground- where as if your up in a tree stand, you can take it off to better camouflage yourself.
    MOST hunters aren't going to be looking for deer 20 feet up a tree. MOST.
  20. aborgman

aborgman Supporting Member

For animals that see color poorly but still are good at picking out humans - the important thing is to break up the human outline. In those cases, you often DO have an entire camouflage pattern mostly made up of bright orange.

This is what I Deer hunt in:

[​IMG]

For animals that you don't really need to be "sneaky" to get (see - rabbits, squirrels, upland birds) then the onus is on safety. You aren't worried about the critter seeing you and you want to be sure other hunters DO see you - so you wear something like this:

[​IMG]

For animals that are good at picking up humans and seem to have good color vision - like turkeys and waterfowl - folks will tend to use full camouflage. Personally, if I'm hunting public land - I'd still want some orange.

Orange REALLY works - see the decline in annual hunter accidental shootings after Michigan implemented the law:

http://www.hunter-ed.com/mi/mi_specific_images/pdfs/mi_hunting_casualties.pdf
  21. aborgman

aborgman Supporting Member

The problem when in a tree deer hunting isn't deer hunters - it's small game hunters.

If you're invisible up in a tree, you're in danger of getting shot by squirrel and bird hunters... and here in Michigan there is a couple months of overlap between deer hunting season and small game season.

I know one person who lost an eye while deer hunting from a treestand after getting hit by shotgun pellets from a small game hunter... I know another half dozen that have been peppered with birdshot but at a long enough distance where it did no damage.