1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Hybrid bag / case for mini-heads

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by hover, Feb 5, 2013.

1. hover

hover Banned

I was wondering if anyone out there had ideas for a good, moderate protection messenger / laptop bag format "case" for mini-amp form-factor heads like the Portaflex/ Tone Hammer/ Shuttle/ TC style heads, where there would be a compartments to accomodate the head separate from cables and tuners, etc...without being cumbersome on your shoulder...

I was looking into some camera bag cases that would seem to do the trick but are pretty bulky, and the MONO 365 bag would work too, but is prohibitively expensive at the moment...

I'm just looking for a better alternative to my current tote which is just a regular soft laptop bag that I fear would not fare well in a drop (haven't yet, but still)...as I want to make as few trips to the car as possible, especially if I am parked really far from the venue. I'm currently at 2 trips (bag and bass, then 2nd trip for my cab), and I want to retain that quickness but offer better protection to my amp. I don't want a hard case without shoulder-strap.

Thanks. Sorry if this rambles...

2. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Media:
    Look into a small mixer bag from GigSkinz.

3. hover

hover Banned

Will do! Thanks for the suggestion!

4. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

I use a laptop carryon type backpack. Holds my MB800, cables, small pedalboard, microphone, with room for an extra shirt, PBJ sammie, and a couple redbulls.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hover

hover Banned

Another good option. I'll admit I am hoping for more of a messenger-style bag thing, but not rulin that out, thanks.

You think there would be a market for a purpose-built / multi-compartment setup like what I am describing, where compartments could be changed with multiple light-weight slip-in panels? The bottom would be dense shock-foam, and the interior lined, of course.

I want to to be relatively slim form-factor, but be able internally to hold the head in a separate compartment, possibly flanked on each side with one or two pedal compartments, and to the "front" of the bag, have stowage for extra cables / speaker cable / power cord...then flap and clicked closure over it, and possibly some outer accessory pouches on the sides, for phone, headphones, etc... out of weatherized canvas... I am kind of handy with a sewing machine and table saw and other hand-tools, maybe it's time to make some prototypes.

7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Gruv Gear has some nice bags, a little pricey.

8. Taurusmoo

Taurusmoo

I use a very well padded, small:ish laptop backpack. It works like a charm, with lots of room for other stuff. It's kind of modular too. Personally I really like the backpack format, I have that on my back, bass gigbag over a shoulder, pedalboard case in one hand and a 112 in the other.

Not a messenger bag but for me it makes it a single trip from car to venue, unless I bring 2 x 112's.

9. bb03

bb03 Supporting Member

10. hover

hover Banned

11. pasta4lnch

pasta4lnch

I'm sure Mooridian will make what you're looking for (if they don't already). It won't be cheap, but it'll be super well made . . .

12. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

13. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Wow, those are inexpensive. It would be nice if they included photos of the interior configuration. Hard to know what you're really getting.

14. eeyorebass

eeyorebass

If you get one, let us know what you think. I just ordered a Gator Cases mixer bag for my Streamliner, based on a review in another thread. Those look really nice, too, especially for the price.

Jeremy

15. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Fixed it for you.:D

16. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

17. fretster

fretster Advanced Beginner Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    founder, AceNote Inc.
    I got a cheapie laptop pouch for my shuttle. That and the other stuff like cables and charts goes into a gym bag. So the shuttle has double protection.

18. hover

hover Banned

Will do. I did in fact just order one (I ordered the "strong side #9" ). Will report back...at that price (and AMS' return policy / free shipping) it's a real good deal. I like the Gator option too. The MarkBass bag I did see, and it's beautiful, just worried it was a little too purpose-built for their head form-factor...

Thanks so much people~!!! Much appreciated, truly. I hope this bag pans out, but I love all these options just in case! :bassist:

19. pasta4lnch

pasta4lnch

20. hover

hover Banned

Ok, so the case came in today (I love AMS, they always ship free, and I always get it in 24 hrs). I really like it, save for the rubber "world tour" logo on the outer pouch face, which I promptly removed upon deciding I would keep it (it's stiched on, so I razor bladed the stitches apart...yeah, I'm kinda vain about that stuff, and the red piping around the front pounch was already teetering too close to "members only jacket" territory, hahaha

As I posted before, I ordered the "hard side #9" case. The fabric is of the good, typical mid-weight gig-bag variety. The hard-side inserts are like a kinda lighter-weight version of MONO M-80 rigid insert material, but are plenty robust. The zippers are good quality, albeit a little stiff at the corners, but that will improve as the fabric gets softer with use. I anticipated a pretty close fit with my PF350, and I was dead on...which means the PF800 I might upgrade to will fit nose-down, with room still on the side for effects. With the amp in place, there is still another 1.5 inches of interior height for a slightly taller mini-head, or a full rack width head up to 4.5" tall (without rack ears) would fit too (19" interior width). 20mm padding all around. Good quality lining.

The front, separate pouch is huge, and I fit four 15' cables, my 6' speaker cable, amp power cable, and all my patch cables in there, and I have plenty of room for a 3-ring binder of charts, or a laptop, iPad, or a fakebook if I wanted to. A plus keeping that from bangin against the head.

Here's a pic for illustrative purposes. For 37 bucks, I'm pleased...I'll keep it. Still want to put a divider in there, to keep the head from moving laterally. Can of scotch guard too...for water repellent.

Attached Files:

21. bb03

bb03 Supporting Member

I knew you'd like it! ;)

Much more heavy duty, and better protection than most of the manufacturer's bags (Genz/Mesa/GK, anyway).