Hybrid-Bass Guitar Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by basshoundx, Jan 25, 2014.

1. basshoundx

basshoundx

Disclosures:
    WARNING: Liable to be weeaboo
    Hey there. So I'll make this brief. I'm a high school student who plays the Double bass, and I have experience playing bass guitar, but haven't owned one. Well for my design and engineering class, I'm taking on a building challenge to build a hybrid instrument. The concept is simple, to make an instrument which is a solid body bass guitar in every aspect, except for the addition of a curved bridge, much like the on on a double bass, and a curved fingerboard to go along with it. The bridge wouldn't be as high as a DB, the highest I would care to build it would be 3" above the body.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has attempted something like this, or if such a thing already exists. Any feedback and info is appreciated.
  2. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

3. basshoundx

basshoundx

Disclosures:
    this is close to what I'm imagining, but the instrument I'm building is more akin to a guitar than a upright. I want the neck closer to the body, maybe even through the body, and I want to add a truss rod to it.
  4. pfox14

pfox14

With the strings 3" off the body, how do you plan on amplifying the sound of the strings?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mahataru

Mahataru

Piezo
  7. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

Media:
    Soooo, a baritone archtop guitar? or an electric double bass?
  8. line6man

line6man

Will it be played upright, or guitar-style? It would probably be awkward if it were not upright.
  9. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

I can't imagine that thing being comfortable to play like a bass guitar.
  10. basshoundx

basshoundx

Disclosures:
    When I wrote the OP, I was thinking 3" was smaller than it actually is. I ment to say something more like 1-1 1/2" off the body.

The idea is to create a bass guitar. If i have to make the bridge flat to eliminate the curve in the neck to make it easier to play like a guitar, then so be it.
  11. Beej

Beej

Atlansia make some basses with small radii that effectively put the strings pretty high above the body. Some have a 2.5" radius at the nut and have an integrated endpin/strap pin so you can play arco upright style...
  12. T-34

T-34

Takamine B10 is an arch-top, other than that it is close to what you're trying to acheive - tight radius, strings high off the body:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Marcury

Marcury High and Low Supporting Member

14. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

This sounds cool, I always wondered what the hybrid would be like. Subscribed!