1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hydrive 112(x2) or neo 210+115?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jumblemind, Dec 22, 2012.

1. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Looking to do the modular thing with my new Aguilar TH500. I currently have a neo 4ohm 115 in an old ampeg cab, but i think it might be blown b/c it was distorting badly when the amp was starting to clip at my first gig with the new setup. Need to test it again today.

Any rate, trying to decide on an 8ohm Avatar neo 210 or a set of Hartke hydrive 112's. The 210 would likely work for most of my gigs (bars, weddings), and for outdoors/larger rooms i could pair it with an old hartke 410 or with the ampeg cab if i replace the speaker with an 8ohm.

I'm aware of the debate about mixed drivers, and that's part of the reason for considering abandoning my old cabs and going with the 112 pair. I like the idea of taking a single 30lb 112 to practice and smaller side gigs, but i think most of the time i would need to stack both...in which case am i really slimming my load in? If the sound profile is better in the end, that's all that matters, i suppose.
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

I would go out with your amp and bass... Play every cab you can. Find one you like in 8 Ohms and get it. If you need more volume add a second matching cab.
  3. jumblemind

Unfortunately, that's not a real option for me. The local Guitar Center only has about 4 bass cabs. And GC and the internet have put the other stores in town out of the bass business.
  4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Personally, I would be taking a drive over to nashville and seeing about playing through Mark Robertson's (BNA audio) cabs. I 4 Ohm Bassic would kill with that head.
  5. jumblemind

Not against a Nashville run, and I'd looked a bit into the 12/6. Guys in the band are wanting more punch and note definition than my current (sealed) 15. Wasn't going to spend that much, though amortized over a lifetime, fEARfuls are probably a great deal.
  6. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    I'll be watching this thread as I'm leaning hard toward the Hydrive 12 myself lately. Looks fairly well-built, spec's are good, and the 4/8ohm capability is a big plus. Gotta' get out and demo one.
  7. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    I find it way easier to haul two smaller cabs than one bigger one. It also gives you the option of a single cab for smaller gigs.
  8. MysticMichael

MysticMichael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Far better to have a smaller number of high-quality cabs, than a larger number of lower-quality cabs. :meh:

Unless that old Ampeg cab and that old Hartke cab are doing you a heckuva lot of good (doesn't seem likely), I've flip 'em - pronto - for something more worthy of your Tonehammer. The Aguilar DB112s are reputed to make a magic combination with that head. Plenty of volume too. So you might want to be on the lookout for a pair of lightly-used DBs. But I know nothing concerning your tone goals or preferences of music, so that's just a stab in the dark.

Couple years ago, I bought a Hartke Hydrive 112 from one of the TalkBass members. I couldn't use it. It distorted at low volume, for no reason whatsoever. Probably I got a lemon. I sold it off locally - at a loss - and moved on... :meh:

MM
  9. jumblemind

I'm playing passive Fenders. My personal tone goal is old school warm and fat, but i need to be able to dial in at least some modern hi fi for a lot of the covers i play. My main band is a loudish drummer with two guitars, often playing acoustically muddy rooms, so being able to cut while keeping the low end the drummer can feel is desirable. I'm guessing that probably describes 90% of bass players, but that's what I'm after.

In a perfect world i'd drop the grand and a half for a pair of SL112s. But I don't live in that world at the moment. I will watch for a DB deal, anyway.