Hydrive speaker changeout?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Vortex Tess, Nov 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vortex Tess

Vortex Tess

Ok,

so now that I have figured out that I do not like metal cone speakers, i would to fix this. I do like the actual Hydrive cab construction. For a 4x10 and 1x15 cabs, they are nice and compact along with being light. Took me a while to figure that it was the metal cones killing a frequency band that i want to hear.

Yes, i could get a car vin 4x10 and 1x15 cab for relatively inexpensive, with eminence speakers. or i can put new ones in my cabs and sell the hybrid speakers in there. I am not sure what type of pairing or ohms i need. The 4x10 is 1000 watts@ 8 ohms. is there any good suggestions or solutions to this? :confused:
  2. Marton

Marton

Sell the cab and get one you like. Or trade it. In the end, it will be cheaper, and you'll be sure to get the sound you like. Changing the speakers in a cab is most of the time a bad idea.
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 the cab and spkrs were designed as a single unit, and changing one or the other can be a complete crapshoot. Better to sell as is, and buy something you do like. Also, read up on pairing a 115 with a 410, it's popular, but makes no sense from an engineering standpoint. It's a gross mis-match.
  4. Vortex Tess

Vortex Tess

now i have heard that a 1x15 doesn't do any good unless you have enough room for the waveform to articulate. but the engineers i have worked with support a 15 for larger through rooms (i.e.. big stages where you are 15 feet away from your cab.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

You have heard a lot of outdated or plan wrong info. :)
  7. Vortex Tess

Vortex Tess

i didn't ask anything about pairing 15" speakers. It was about the feasibility of changing speakers. Besides i take advice with people with PE licensers and degrees in electrical engineering, not sound techs that call themselves engineers... can we keep my post to what I asked, not everyone's add in on 15 inch speakers?
  8. Vortex Tess

Vortex Tess

this is what i found helpful.
  9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Unfortunately that's baloney. First, the wave reproduction of one 15 may be different from another 15; second, the wave production mechanics of a 15 is not necessarily all that different from the same sort of action by a 10 or a 12; third, a 15 is not inherently dedicated to very long waves; and fourth, even very long waves are fully audible and real at every point along the wave. A full wave cycle is NOT required for hearing the frequency, and there is no benefit gained by allowing a full wave cycle distance. Think about headphones! :)
  10. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I thought YOU brought it up? Sorry! You might want to consult an AE as EE's are not properly trained in the acoustic field.

An enclosure is built FOR a specific speaker's needs. Or you can just thow any 10" speaker in the box as electrically it will work. How it will sound is a different story.
  11. Vortex Tess

Vortex Tess

why does there be a persistence to arguing over 15's ??? I have heard this argument for too many years. I don't care, i use what I use. There are a number of bassists that are world renowned that have a 15. Wooten did before he switched to Hartke sponsorship. please do not have a continuation of ego pissing on my post where i ask "SHOULD I REPLACE SPEAKERS"
  12. Vortex Tess

Vortex Tess

"Yes, i could get a carvin 4x10 and 1x15 cab for relatively inexpensive, with eminence speakers. or i can put new ones in my cabs and sell the hybrid speakers in there. I am not sure what type of pairing or ohms i need. The 4x10 is 1000 watts@ 8 ohms. is there any good suggestions or solutions to this?"

This was my original question. where do I start arguing over "why 15's produce better sound"

I just donated today to become a member, and already i get old man pissing remarks coming at me non-sequator while asking a simple question, which was quoted above.

is this the sum of TB???
  13. bolophonic

bolophonic

Do not replace the speakers, the cabs will sound cruddy.

Also: don't start arguments within the first page of your own threads or the results will also be cruddy.
  14. Vortex Tess

Vortex Tess

i didn't start an argument. i have people coming on here arguing their own thing on acoustic properties of 15 inch speakers. it is disrespectful to a post to non-sequator off topics.

The result came from the first reply. which mirrors your first sentence. that what was all that was needed.

there is other threads that go into what acoustic nonsenses there are when picking large diameter speakers. please use them to argue
  15. bolophonic

bolophonic

Cool story, bro.
  16. Bmorefoozler

Bmorefoozler

Just throw any old 10" speakers wth paper cones in tere. You are rigt, it has to be those aluminum cones ruining your tone. Any speaker that fis will be fine. Or, you might want to try the new hemp cone speakers. I hear they are great.
  17. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
    Let's try this again without the snark, on either side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.