I ain't superstitious- jeff Beck- Truth

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by obimark, Jan 7, 2013.

1. obimark

obimark

Anyone have a good tab for this super cool song and bass playing (or transcription)

It is basically a blues type progression with a lot of cool riffs thrown in, and some other things. I know it is in F, but for the life of me can't make out some the hits, and licks. Not sure if the main- Boom Boom, is Low E then F or jsut F F. etc...

Thanks in advance!

2. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd

sorry i can't help you with tab - i actually have the guitar tab book for this album, but there's no bass tab. ronnie wood is playing bass on this and ronnie never seems to play the same lick twice!

i mentioned this record to hal leonard, how about going to the "Hey, hal leonard" thread and request it? who knows but that they might put something out?

3. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

One of my faves too. The eighth notes are a shuffle rhythm. Give me a couple days and I'll see what I can come up with. Can you read notation?

4. obimark

obimark

Yes-I can read some notation or tab- all good. I know it is mostly a I IV V in F- but there are so many cool riffs in it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

Been working this out. I think it makes more sense to write this in 12/8. Anyone want to suggest a key signature? I think I will be able to figure the notes out, but the logistics of the accidentals can be tricky with all the passing tones and approach notes Ronny uses. I figure if enough talk bassers put their heads together we won't need Hal Leonard.

7. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy Supporting Member

I'll chip in with a few bars if you guys point me to a part that's not coming easy for you.

This is one of my all-time favorite albums... loved it on vinyl, love it in iTunes. :cool:

8. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

I think I've got it, but I'm only 40 seconds in. 3 flats makes sense for the key. I just wonder about the part before the drum break and whether or not the beat gets turned around.

9. PlayTheBass

I don't think the beat gets turned around. That part before the drum break starts on G, slides up to C and pedals there before sliding back down. It's kind of just chaotic right there, so I don't know how detailed you want to notate it.

I dropped the needle in at around 1:50 and transcribed a bit so you can add it to your score. I think 12/8 is a great choice, but for the key sig I would keep it one flat since it's an F blues.

10. PlayTheBass

Just a note on the fingerings... most of the time it sounded better to me to play it higher up, but I tabbed it as all in mostly one low position. The part on bar 9 in my chart I had the Ab on the 6th fret because that allows you to give it a subtle little bend easier, but YMMV.

11. obimark

obimark

Awesome thanks!! those are some cool riffs. Interestingly enough Led Zep borrows heavily from these ideas for the jam part of How Many More times if you listen.

12. PlayTheBass

You got it! Yeah, you're right, you hear those riffs a lot in blues-based rock. Borrowing is the way of the blues! (And complaining a lot, of course.)

Alright, I went a little further, and this time put the fingering that I'm using, even though it involves a quick drop down to the low F. Just sounds better to me.

13. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

14. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

I give up. Those hemiolas are giving me a mental hernia.

15. obimark

obimark

I love how he plays the F note in at least 3 different octaves- great bass playing from Ron Wood!

16. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

I'm not sure PlayTheBass has it quite right either. Bar 6 of his transcription shouldn't have a half note in it. Also he has that hemiola phrase ending on the downbeat of bar 7 and then the next time the same type of phrase ends on the and of beat 4 of bar 10.

17. PlayTheBass

I'll check it out when I get a chance. Sounds like I probably messed up when I was dragging parts around to copy them.

18. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

I feel like the first phrase should end on the downbeat but the counting doesn't add up. Unless the band rushes in to the phrase shortening the previous bar (your bar 4) to 11/8, in which case the B flat starts on the down beat instead of the upbeat, but a bar of 11/8?

19. obimark

obimark

This song is about feel more than anything. Songs that have big spaces like this are the toughest without a doubt. COuld be someone counted wrong, or they came in early. Either way these tabbed riffs sound dead-on to me.

20. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

PlayTheBass is clearly skilled and I'm not saying he got any notes wrong. I just can't understand the way the band starts and ends the 3 against 2 phrases. It's definitely not like transcribing RUSH.

21. PlayTheBass

Alright, there were a few measures that the notes got shifted by an eighth-note, probably when I was dragging things around. Check this version out and see what you think, and let me know if you find any other weird parts. I renumbered the measures so the match the song measure numbers (if I counted correctly).

obimark is right on about the feel, as there's a lot of slop in there that makes it so killer. You can really hear the guitarist's feel.

I don't feel any odd measures in there, though the tempo gets a little elastic. Definitely not like Rush, indeed! :)

Attached Files: