I am new here! (TECH QUESTION)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by illstaygold, Feb 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illstaygold

illstaygold

EDIT: I just noticed the sticky. I am so sorry. Way to make a terrible first impression.

:bassist::bassist:
    I wanted to first tell you my name is Anthony. I have been a bass addict for over a decade and a half now. Played in a bunch of bands, yada yada yada. ANYWAY...

I love 6 strings--always have. So I did some trading around and scored an Ibanez SR506. I picked the bass up from a trade deal I did through Sam Ash. Everything works pretty well for the most part. The ONLY thing I am noticing is that I have a balance knob that works when I turn it all the way to the right. Otherwise, if I turn it to the left, I literally get NOTHING. So, I can safely say that the front pup is not working at all. Would that be in the Ibanez EQB3S preamp or the pup itself do you think?

Any and all help is appreciated. Obviously I will be taking the bass back to my friends at Sam Ash so they can fix it, but my mind is curious.

Thanks all.
    A

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

It sounds like your signal is grounding out when the neck pickup is on. I doubt its the pickup, at fault. Most likely someone either rewired something incorrectly, or the positive wire from the neck pickup is grounded somewhere.

3. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

No worries, a moderator can move it if they want, and welcome. :) Aside from some Ibanez specific issue that I don't know about, this is usually a wiring or pickup problem. There is some chance that the preamp went south but it's really really slim. The issue is likely in the neck pickup or its wiring to the preamp.

If it's used, and you like it, then this is an issue that you can fix or have fixed. Sounds like Sam Ash owes this repair to you. You can also open it up and have a look. If it's easy to fix you can save yourself some trouble. Lot's of people here that would be happy to help. Cheers!

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Supporting Member

Media:
    OP already reposted in Pickups, so...

5. Register to disable this ad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.