I am "new-ish" to this forum and am looking for criticism on my band's first demo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Blue Oyster, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Blue Oyster

Blue Oyster

The songs can be found on our Reverbnation page.

http://www.reverbnation.com/orbsceptrethrone

These are analog recordings done by some local sound engineering students for free.

We are hoping to record our first album within the next four months and any criticism is appreciated. I know there is lots to work on.

Cheers,

Ryan

2. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Ask for criticism and you shall receive. First of all congrats on recording here's what I can find. The guitar tone is kind of weak to me and just generic. As an rock band you need to bring something new to the table same goes for the bass tone it's not bad but could be better. The bass may be more the engineer not you but the tones sound scooped on both ends.

Your singer has a good voice and range but misses some notes. The intro to run with me and chorus to fly he sounds a little flat. The guitar solo for fly doesn't really pop he has some phrasing which is good it's just all in minor pentatonic it doesn't have any hook to it.
    The vocal melodys and riffs don't hook really.

I know this is a rough recording and you guys have some great potential you're good musicians. I thought your bass playing was good you didn't over play held it together nice all I can say is adjust tones and make some catchy riffs.

3. Blue Oyster

Blue Oyster

That's great, thank you. That is exactly what I am looking for in advice.

Thanks!