1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I am ready for a 70s Road Worn Jazz! Who's with me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by svtcobraboy81, Feb 24, 2014.

1. svtcobraboy81

svtcobraboy81

Off the bat, this is a thread for the lovers of all things Fender Road Worn. So don't start all that biz about, cheap/wannabes/new jeans with holes... blah blah blah. IF you do, I pray that a troop of third graders learning to play their recorders show up to your doorstep in the morning and refuse to leave your side for ten years. Rant over.

So, I absolutely LOVE my 50's P RW and really like my 60's J RW a lot. However, THAT 70's Jazz tone and feel would be so sweet in a RW series. Why hasn't Fender released a 70's J RW? I've even thought about grabbing a 70's classic J (love that neck) and having it stripped and refinished in nitro since the RW and classic are very similar in body wood and electronics. Has anyone here actually done this? I wouldn't imagine that it would take very much for Fender to get off their duff and put something together. Would you buy a 70's J RW?

2. rogypop

rogypop

Three tone sunburst blocked n' bounded. I'm on.

3. E.J. T.N.T.

E.J. T.N.T.

And maple fingerboards!!!

4. svtcobraboy81

svtcobraboy81

No Joke! Bound/Blocked/Maple= BEST neck ever!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jwj1701

jwj1701

Alright, I'm ready. How are you paying for it? :)

7. svtcobraboy81

svtcobraboy81

Just the reply I would expect from a fellow Kentuckian.

8. Matt R.

Matt R. Supporting Member

9. alembicbones

alembicbones

While it's not a Fender, doesn't Bill Nash make a relic'd 70's jazz bass?

Bones

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Pass.

Of course, I'm furious with Fender, having spent two days servicing eight new Fender guitars that were hopelessly incapable of being tuned due to atrociously bad nuts. It's running about 100% these days, and has far a long time.

Basses, not as bad, but worse than they should be.

Why don't you people obsess over something that actually matters for a change?

11. Down_Low

Down_Low

I'd be keen for that, as long as they're available in something other then sunburst! My preference would be white, black pg and either maple or rw board with pearl blocks.

12. Splods

Splods

Media:
    The road worn 60's Jazz basses are really nice feeling basses. I would love to have a blocked and bound 70's jazz. 3TS, Black Guard, Maple neck =Mmmm

13. elBandito

elBandito

70's J were poly finished, no? I'd be interested in seeing how they would pull that off.

14. maxschrek

maxschrek Supporting Member

I'm in! This AND an Olympic white one.

15. svtcobraboy81

svtcobraboy81

I'm sure that it could be pulled off quite nicely. The Custom Shop has options for those bent on period correctness.

So, bound/blocked/maple neck option, 3 T Burst/Oly White/Black color options in nitro.

I'm liking this so far...

16. svtcobraboy81

svtcobraboy81

I'm not obsessing over it, I just think it'd be a killer addition to an already fantastic product line. As far as things that actually matter are we talking about the next gig or next pedal to acquire? :hyper:

I'm with you as far as out of the box setups go, atrocious is hardly the word. However, after a thorough setup (neck,nut,bridge,intonation) these basses are solid.

17. Ponsonby_Britt

Ponsonby_Britt

No, but this winter has me feelin' worn out and in my 70s.

18. Bongolation

Bongolation

No, like having an instrument play in tune.

I mean, how much more basic can you possibly get here?

Two questions that stump me:

How can some outfit claim to be a manufacturer of quality instruments and ship guitars and basses that won't play even approximately in tune?

What twisted definition of the term, "musician" can you apply to a player who can't hear that his note is fifteen cents or more off-pitch and doesn't care anyway?

:confused::confused::confused:

Do you know any "setup tech" who actually knows how to assess the state of a nut during a so-called "setup"? I don't know a single one in the city in which I live. And it's simple:

Get your E in tune, then check F, F# and G with the chromatic tuner. Try it with the other strings as well, but it's usually the E that is most grossly off on a Fender bass or guitar. These notes should be within a cent or two of on pitch with the open string, not as much as twenty cents sharp.

That's negligent build (not setup), enda story.

If buyers would demand warranty remediation on this crap (and they definitely should), it would soon tighten up.

19. awilkie84

awilkie84

I'll take Olympic White with a maple block/bound neck...oh, and a nitro finish.

20. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

It would have to be at least 15 pounds to be true to a 70's!

21. rogypop

rogypop

I have that one covered, oly white Marcus Miller jazz :smug: