I am really digging the Spector NS2000 Q6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gabu, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Does anyone here have any opinions on this? Is it worth $509?

[​IMG]
  2. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

i tried the 5 string version and loved it. definitly (sp?) worth 509 new
  3. Treena Foster

Treena Foster

Gabu, can you give us some details, like what it's nade of and what strings you are using? I'm curious as to the sound and weight also!

I found these specks..... It features a 3-ply, hard-maple, bolt-on neck; EMG-HZ U.S.-made pickups; active tone controls; an alder body topped with quilted maple; and black-plated hardware.

Features:

* 3-ply, hard-maple, bolt-on neck
    * EMG-HZ U.S.-made pickups
    * Active tone controls
    * Alder body topped with quilted maple
    * Black-plated hardware

;) Treena
  4. Gabu

Gabu

Anyone? Maybe I should just buy it and try it out... MF does have a good return policy.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gabu

Gabu

Here is the link on MF:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...960022/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/514421X/
  7. andrewd

andrewd

my friend has a spector ns2002b (i think?) four-string. its one of the best 'low-end' basses ive ever played. really bright sound, good for slapping/picking.

let us know how this one goes if you get it!
  8. brake

brake

buy it! My 4 banger version of the same bass is the best i've ever laid my hands on.
  9. Gabu

Gabu

It's on the way. Should be a fun time. I will post a review with some sound clips after I get it. Hopefully the extended range will grow on me.... I am trying to take another step away from "the box". :p
  10. RevGroove

RevGroove

Disclosures:
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist
    I have the Q5, which is the five string version...can't complain! I think you'll dig it man!
  11. streamerstii

streamerstii

I played one at a local guitar store, i really have to say it was one of the nicer "low end" basses i've ever played. After i played that bass i played an MTD 535, and considering the price difference, the difference in "feel" wasn't that bad.
    -Ryan :bassist:
  12. Sanctum

Sanctum

Made in Korea, same as my REX 2000/5

I just changed out the EMG-HZ's to EMG DC40's - the HZ's aren't bad, but the 40's rock.

Fit and finish on these are pretty good for the price. And that price seems pretty good.
  13. metalgod502

metalgod502 Guest

yea buy it. iv never played the 6 string but i just played one at guitar center not to long ago. it plays really nice. its very lite and for 509 its really worth it.
  14. Gabu

Gabu

Boy, this is driving me nuts now... It's rough being at work and getting that phone call, "Honey, your bass is here"... with a couple of hours left!! :p

Okee... Review on the way. :D
  15. Gabu

Gabu

Okay, I got it. It plays okay, but the neck is a bit bowed and I am getting some fret buzz so it needs to be setup. However...

It definately has its own tone. As it is, with the neck and bridge volumes dimed and the two other knobs in their middle position, it sound good with a nice blend of punch and growl.

The condition is very nice. The routes cut for th pickups, bridge, and control assembly are all very accurate. The assembly is not shielded, and also the battery section could use some padding to keep the battery from rattling around.

I have not found it difficult to transition to at all. It has a very comfortable neck. It is a bit heavy. But it looks great too. :)

More to come, I gotta hit the sack!! Tomorrow I will throw on some sound sampkles.
  16. RevGroove

RevGroove

Disclosures:
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist
    Gabu, there should be a holder/clip in the control cavity to hold the battery in place, it shouldn't be just rolling around.
  17. Gabu

Gabu

It is in a designated space, but the space is larger than the battery. So, without any padding or clips, it kind of flops around in it. The wiring is all neatly done. But that detail is kinda cheap.

This is a BLEM model. But I am still looking for the blemish. :confused: I wonder if they consider it a Blem if someone uses it and returns it.

When I get home from work I will record a couple of clips for y'all. :D
  18. RevGroove

RevGroove

Disclosures:

Let me be specific...there is supposed to be a metal clip in there to hold the battery in place. If it's too wide, then you should be able to squeeze it so that it will in turn squeeze a battery placed in it. If it's not there at all...maybe that's the blemish! Looking forward to those clips!
  19. Gabu

Gabu

Okay, here is the new bass:

[​IMG]

http://www.strangebloom.com/samples

Here are a few noodles just to get some idea of how it sounds. The neck is a bit bowed and the action needs to be set up, so its buzzing a lot on some strings.

I played it with both pickups full volume, and the other two knobs in their center positions. I also used an Ampeg SVT 400T with its 1540he cabinet. The SVT was setup mostly flat with a slight bump in the low mids.
  20. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Sounds good gabu! I felt like I was listening to one of my old clips...i had that same bass (down to the color) only with 5 strings for quite awhile. Definately has that special spector tone. The Spector Q series uses black shielding paint in the cavity, and foil on the cover plate. Is it missing or are you just not familiar with shielding paint?
  21. Gabu

Gabu

I am not familiar with shielding paint. I guess that must be it. :p

It sounds cool. But it needs a setup badly. Also, it may take some time for me to get used to keeping the extraneous strings from ringing while I am playing elsewhere.

My next fun little exercise will be entitled, "fun with octaves"... ;)