I assembled a bass cabinet this evening.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by phatcyclist, Feb 21, 2014.

1. phatcyclist

phatcyclist

So I had some bucks sitting around and decided that my two boombox-type speakers were not cutting it anymore for bass duty, so I replaced them.

An order to Amazon and Parts Express last week got the ball rolling, and tonight it all came together.

I didn't take any real pictures of the process, but this is the list of parts:

-Seismic Quake 15 4 ohm driver
    -Single 15" car subwoofer box with 1.8 ft3 volume
    -Cover and hardware for the speaker
    -Two feet of 14ga speaker wire
    -Panhead #8 screws
    -Automotive-grade spade connectors
    -Feet for the cabinet
    -Strap for the cabinet (not on yet because I want to use bolts I forgot to buy)

Other tools were:

-Drill
    -Drill bits
    -Screwdriver

The driver fit snugly into the opening on the box, so making the mounting holes was easy. Most of the assembly was quick, although there were a few hiccups that will be fixed later but not necessary right now as they don't change the operation of the speaker. The box is well made, and sealed well. It shakes the crap out of my entire house at about half volume, so it has plenty of the old 'doom' factor.

Here's the beast in its natural habitat, under my acoustic 260 head:

[​IMG]

Some cheap window-rattling fun. And yes, this could still easily go into the "Janky-a rigs of doom" thread as it's almost completely re-purposed parts used to make a bass cabinet.

2. joe vegas

joe vegas

anything Seismic is a-ok!

3. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Awesome. Building cabs is a blast. Hope you enjoy it.

4. phatcyclist

phatcyclist

I am so far, it's a lot cleaner sounding than my other setup was which is a big plus.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

Seems like an awful small box for a 15" speaker.

7. phatcyclist

phatcyclist

It's for sure too small as a ported box, but I think it's just big enough as a sealed box. Really, I couldn't find anything on the used market that wasn't gigantic, and short of a cheap and low-powered combo, there just wasn't anything out there.

I'm sure this sucker is not loud enough for a large venue, but it's more than enough to practice with. With the space I have to store it, it works fine.

8. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

Man, that IS a tiny box for a 15! I tried modeling the Seismic, and the ideal box size appeared to be a walk-in closet. I'm thinking it was made extra stiff to work well in an infinite baffle setup (firing through cutouts in the back seats of a car with no box behind it). The implication is it would work well as a guitar amp combo with an open back.

Of course, the bottom line is how it sounds, and if it sounds great, you're in great shape. I too made use of some extra subwoofers that were sitting around the house, and I'm still using one of those as my main home practice cab. The other didn't work as well for bass, but I repurposed it for my wife's e-drums and it's perfect.

9. edencab

edencab

nice job......what does that beauty weigh?.....dimensions?

10. phatcyclist

phatcyclist

The box is a trapezoid, it's 14"(350mm) deep at the bottom, 8 3/4"(220mm) at the top, 18"(455mm) wide, and 15 1/2"(395mm) tall. Just going by the specs of the components, it looks like all together it is somewhere in the ballpark of 32lbs(14.5kg)