I blew my berg nv215. In need of TB advice.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bean639, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Bean639

Bean639 Supporting Member

First off. I'm a dummy. I know, I know. This is my first piece of equipment I've caused any harm to in almost 20 years of being a bass player.

I tested to resistance on both the 15s. One reads OL and the .4 ohms. I'm assuming I fried the coils, right?

If so, what kind of speakers are the 15s? I know they are Eminence. I believe the model # is BAS15-2508 151856. Ive been searching and it is initially looking like they are no longer made. Is that right?

If so. Is there another speaker that is a proper replacement?

I'm afraid all I'm left with here is a empty cab with a nice cover and a 6".

It would be very very very cool if anyone has any information that can help.

Thanks
    Jason
  2. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Contact Jim Bergantino on either a replacement speaker or info on a rebuild kit.
  3. Bean639

I tried. Its probably my phone, but the site is not allowing me to contact him. I will try when I'm able to get to another device. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask TB in the meantime.

Thanks for the reply!
  4. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

probably need to buy replacements from Jim if you want the same performance specs and sound. While they most likely came from a major manufacturer, I believe he has custom spec'd speakers for his cabs.

just out of curiosity, how did you do this ? I have not blown a cab/speaker in decades myself, and drivers these days are quite a bit more robust than those we saw back in the day.

good luck !
  5. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

+1
    These are probably not out of the box Celestions but rather tweaked to his design.
  6. Bean639

I was afraid someone would ask how I did it. I was pushing it with a carvin b2000. 1300 watts @4 ohms. I boosted the 40 hz to about 3 o'clock to see what she could do. The carvin has a clip light on it. I lowered the master to off. Next I slowly raised the master looking for the clip light. She never came on, just POP! Ugh.....
  7. Bean639

Thanks guys! Making me feel better. Hopefully they aren't an arm and a leg!
  8. Bean639

Oh and BTW, the carvin is fried too. I haven't even opened her up yet....
  9. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Unfortunately, with a propriety design, when the spare drivers and re-cone kits are depleted, the only solution is a close alternative. Eminence will have something that you can use.

Best bet is to email Bergantino and ask if re-cone kits are still available or what they recommend as an alternative.
  10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Were your ears listening while your eyes were watching?
  11. Bean639

Yup. You should know I run very heavy distortion. That being said my dumb brain was just realizing that nothing was happening as I turn up the volume. Maybe this is a bad POP!
  12. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Baer Amplification
    Pushing 1300watts is a no no. 1300watts and cranking up the 40Hz is a really big no no. I would bet I played the vast majority of my gigging career with no more than than 500 watts and I can't ever remember a time where I felt I needed more volume. Makes no sense to me as a manufacturer to build an amp capable of blowing the crap out of my own speakers.
  13. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Stuff happens. :cool:

I blew out a driver once! My first affair with Neo drivers but I blame the excessively loud PA and general environment of the club I was playing in; there was no way I was actually going to be able to hear my amp given the volume levels in that place due to the idiotic, deaf sound droid at the console. :scowl:
  14. Bean639

Duh! Hence this thread!
  15. scf4003

scf4003

After 10 years of hard gigging, I blew the 10s in one of my Berg HT2-10. I called and was told by Mr. Bergantino to use two 16 ohm Eminence Delta speakers so that's what's in the cab now. (I bought the speakers from ProTech on Ebay)
  16. Bean639

Good stuff! Fingers crossed and thanks!
  17. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Can you not find a phone number and leave a message?
  18. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Google contact Jim Bergantino, it pops up halfway down 1st page.
  19. VeganThump

VeganThump Supporting Member

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1393301286.848081.jpg
  20. Bean639

Downunder. So far I've just tried emailing from the bergantino site. I'll get in touch one way or the other. Like I said, (reworded) I was hoping for some helpful insight from TBers in the meantime.

Vegan. Yup. I messed up. It is a terrible feeling. I'll eat two steaks on you. ;)