I bought a mandolin today

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by georgestrings, Dec 5, 2013.

1. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I've wanted to play around with one for awhile now, and got one off of CL today - delivered to my house, by a reasonably attractive female - go figure... It's one of those $200 Fender "packages", but seems pretty decent, and only cost me $70 - she bought it with the intentions of learning to play, but never quite got to it... I actually went to youtube to see how it was tuned, hahaha!!! I'm thinking I might get a chance to play it some in my country group - I don't think it'll be very difficult to play it on a basic level...

Anyone else play one of these things???

- georgestrings
  2. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

I got one for my wife as a Christmas present because she always comments about how cool it would be to be able to play one. But I know exactly what's gonna' happen. She'll never touch it. Well, she'll pick it up once or twice, then say, "It's too difficult", and that'll be that. At that point, I'll probably try to teach myself to play HER Christmas present... :D
  3. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

I've used them in recordings on occasion. Hated the experience. Miserable little insufferable devil machine.

Wouldn't mind having one of my own, though. :D
  4. sonicblue62

sonicblue62

The mandolin is a super fun instrument. Being tuned in 5ths, chord inversions are all pretty close together, and scales just seem to lay in a very logical way on the fretboard. Plus it's as portable as a u-bass. :D I picked it up about 2 years ago after my dad (a stellar mando player) gave me an impromtu lesson. Bluegrass and fiddle tunes are fun, but I also recommend studying jazz mandolin. www.jazzmando.com is an amazing site with a ton of free resources.

On a somewhat related note, jazz bass great Red Mitchell tuned his upright in 5ths. After messing with the mando, I have thought a few times about trying it with the electric, it might be hard to find the right strings though!
    Best of luck!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

I just bought one - it turned up on Monday, by Thursday night I was playing it at practice and teaching someone else how to play it, then by Sunday playing it live.

Badly, of course. :D

Very fun, although even with my small hands the challenge is to fret cleanly in such a small space. Lots of practice ahead.
  7. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

A friend of mine is big into culinary arts and a few Christmas' ago asked his family for a "Mandoline". He of course meant the kitchen tool used for slicing and for cutting, but instead received a very nice mandolin (musical instrument). He felt so bad that his family went out and got him this instead of the slicer that he kept it, and said nothing about the mix up. He later bought the slicer and has been taking lessons on the mandolin, he is really good now he "shreds" as well as slicing, dicing and julienning. The only person he told in his family after 3 years was his sister.
  8. sonicblue62

sonicblue62

Great story! Maybe they gave it to him on purpose so he would get out of the kitchen and find joy in music too. :)
  9. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani

Tune the thing in 4ths like a bass. Use it to practice chords and scales.
  10. southpaw723

southpaw723

I always thought about getting one, but they seem really hard to play. I've only tried to play one once but I might buy one with Christmas money.
  11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

My dad and brother both play around with a mandolin. Neither is an A list player, but both can carry their own water with one.
  12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Yeah, that's pretty much what happened with the seller - made for a great deal for me, though - and I just gave her the asking price - I didn't haggle any... My band has a bit of downtime this month( 3 gigs instead of 8-10), so I'll probably get on it next week, and be playing some songs by the end of the month...

- georgestrings
  13. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

I started an 'I've Just Bought A Mandolin' thread about 6 months ago. :)

I found it a real challenge at first getting my head around the tuning, the tiny fret spacings and the eight strings...but I absolutely fell in love with it.

If I'm honest, I probably noodle more on the mandolin than it's big brother at the moment.
  14. southwind

southwind

The mandolin will improve your use of the pick. It is a great hobby instrument. Experiment with types of picks and where you get your purchase on the string. There are all kinds on the market now (both picks & mandolins). Tear it up!
  15. tomshad

tomshad

I bought myself a Rogue for 40 bucks on eBay as a wedding present to myself . The setup was more than the instrument . It is not as easy as I thought it would be but I am able to do some stuff on it . Wanna gig on it at some point . My friend was impressed with my tremolando.
  16. avvie

avvie

I have owned one for many many years. My mother played one. My wife heard me playing Zeppelin's "Kashmir" on it and now I am not allowed to take it off the wall again.
  17. RxFunk

RxFunk

I have a Kentucky mando, I'm pretty awful though.
  18. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Somehow, I don't think picking will be an issue - I played guitar in working bands for 15 years before picking up bass, and am still decent on guitar - besides playing bass mostly with a pick... I'm thinking the tight spacing between frets will be the biggest challenge, but it sure looks interesting...

- georgestrings
  19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Hahaha - I'll see if I can dig that thread up... It does look like a pretty cool little instrument...

- georgestrings
  20. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Thanks for the input, everyone - I'll let ya know how it pans out...

- georgestrings
  21. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I have a friend that tunes his EADG so he could cheat.