I bought a Ric on sale from MF. A bit perplexed. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hand Amputation, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Hand Amputation

Hand Amputation Supporting Member

After years and years of wanting a Rickenbacker 4003 I decided that it was time to buy. I had been checking prices on eBay, Sam Ash, and Craigslist when I decided to look at MusiciansFriend's site. I tried the 'email for price' option and they sent me a price of $1799. I decided to call and see if I could get any further discounts and was shocked when I was quoted less than $1500 for a BRAND NEW Jetglo Ric 4003 shipped to my door. $1399, to be exact. I opted for overnight shipping which was an extra $35.

I received the bass today, as I had it shipped to my office. It arrived around 11am. Once I got caught up with my work I took a few minutes to unbox it.

Here are my first impressions:

It came single-boxed, which I thought was a bit odd. The shipping box arrived in good condition. Once I removed the case from the box I verified that the case wasn't damaged. It looked fine to me.

Opened the case and took a look at the bass. Seemed to be unplayed, there wasn't as much as a smudge on the hardware.

[​IMG]
    Here is a photo of the bass, sorry for the phone quality.

The finish looked nice... except for one small area under the bridge.

[​IMG]
    Here is a photo of the finish imperfection.

I am not really sure what I should do. I called MF and left a message with the sales rep who assisted me yesterday. Sure, I paid for a brand new bass, but considering the price, would the small finish imperfection bug you? Nothing is perfect, and if this particular bass sets up, plays, and sounds great, what's a small finish flaw? Perhaps I could get a small partial refund. I will update again once I hear back from MF.

Thoughts?
  2. dalkowski

dalkowski

Never hurts to ask, and if you find it really chafes your nuts, send it back for a refund.
  3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Seems you got a nice deal. The imperfection wouldn't bother me... but that's me.
  4. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

I can barely see that in the picture. To me, I'd keep it. Nice bass. :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. deeptubes

deeptubes

It kind of looks like a dried water mark, perhaps from a final wipe down. Have you tried wiping it off?
  7. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

i probably wouldn't even have noticed it in the first place.
    in fact, so much so, i'm not even sure i see it in your picture.
  8. Joe Kyle

Joe Kyle

Rickenbacker will take it back and fix it for you, you pay shipping, if it's still under warranty. However, if they ship it back to you with any extra imperfections (as in ones that weren't there when you sent it in), you'll have to foot the bill for them to repair their shoddy QC work.

Happened to a friend's ric, was sent back for the same bubbling at the bridge (another Ruby, similar to mine) caused by imperfections in the bridge. The new finish was decently done, but the neck area where it meets the body was very poorly done. The case's foot also was knocked in at some point during this adventure. No dice with them owning up to their sloppy work without having to drop more money to have it sent back...

I like my Ric, my buddy likes his well enough, but I don't know about the company.
  9. raventepes

raventepes

I don't see any reason to send it back. It's so slight, it's barely noticable
  10. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

the amount of high end instruments I see boxed in this manner without a case or gig bag coming thru my place of employ would give you indigestion.
  11. Hand Amputation

I tried with a bit of soft paper towel, but I will try again with some polish when I get home.

Thanks!

You are probably right. It's not THAT big of a deal. I just want to make sure that it won't develop into a bigger problem down the road.
  12. Haji

Haji

Its up to you if you can live with it or not, but if it were me, I'd consider that new-in-case and just play the frets off that beast.

Use a microfiber cloth on it. Paper towels are made from wood, so I just default to using the least abrasive thing I can get that works.
  13. Hand Amputation

It doesn't really bother me THAT much, I guess it's just that it's BRAND NEW. But then again, I got a killer deal on it.

I'm just hoping it's purely cosmetic.
  14. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

I'd keep it. I can hardly see it in the pictures anyway and you got a very good deal price wise.
  15. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Looks like a great bass. You'll never notice any minor imperfections.

Nothing will ever be perfect. We're human. Flawed creatures attempting to make our ways through life. Defined as much by our failures as our triumphs.

Enjoy the bass
  16. Fishheadjoe

Fishheadjoe

Well, it would worry me as I have seen some RICs posted here that had some significant finish issues where the paint/finish was flaking off or coming off in chunks... and I'd be worried that this one might be showing evidence of that starting to happen.
    IMHO, you paid for a new bass that should be as close to perfect as it can get.
    You only have one year of warranty on the finish, so I would be looking at the manufacture date and seeing how much time you actually have under RIC's warranty period.
    And, you shouldn't have to pay anyone to have it made right. Again, IMHO!
    Fishheadjoe
  17. I<34080

I<34080

Where's Gibbenbackerbass to raise Hell about this? Oh wait.
  18. Lo-E

Lo-E

Was it some sort of special deal, or is that simply their price for a new 4003? If it's their price for a new Ric, it seems to me that you wouldn't be out of line wanting it to be in perfect, new condition. If it was discounted because of the blemish, that's a whole other story.

It's inevitable that whatever we play a lot will get worn and scratched, but that's no reason to accept a new bass that's already got a finish flaw on it.
  19. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

I'd keep it. It's so minor I didn't see it at first. I'd also try and see if it wipes off, as was suggested.
  20. Lo-E

Lo-E

In most cases, warranty periods are calculated from the date of purchase, not the date of manufacture.
  21. Joe Kyle

Joe Kyle

Not Ric, M8.