1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I broke my guitar string! :'[

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zeyqer, Aug 21, 2013.

1. zeyqer

zeyqer

NOTE:THREAD IS ANSWERED! :) IT'S ALLLLL GOOD NOW HEHE, THANKS ALL FOR HELPING ME OUT <3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I just bought my Ibanez GSR200 last hour and I tried to tune the thickest string(E) to D and I guess I stretch it TOO MUCH :crying:
    Ok, I never broke any string, even on my 1 year old fender. So can anyone tell me what kind of string to buy? :s Should I replace all of the strings too? Or just one? Here's picture of it.. sigh :meh:

[​IMG]

EDIT!:

and will that small circle be included if I buy a whole set of new strings? or do I use it from my current string?

[​IMG]

2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Replace them all, they're probably old/crappy anyways

3. john m

john m Supporting Member

I hope you were loosening the string to get it DOWN to D, not up.

4. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Replace them all, and only tune your E up to E!

Stretch the new strings by gently pulling the tuned strings away from the body from bridge to nut and retune.

Tuning the E string up to D should kill most E strings.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Project7Bass

Project7Bass Supporting Member

Sounds like you were tightening the string? If you are trying to tune to drop D you want to loosen the string. Also, I would change your strings on a regular basis too. I usually do once a month or so depending on how much playing and wear the strings have. Nothing like a new set of strings! :)

7. jaxstarke

jaxstarke

Mine usually break at the bridge. Doesn't matter which bass. Always at the bridge. Buy a whole new set. Once one goes it's usually indicative that they're all old and probably need replacing. And use a tuner. If you broke that one by tuning it up too high then that's a whole other story. Could do a lot more harm than just breaking a string.

8. zeyqer

zeyqer

Umm yeah :s I dont know, it was E first then when it's D( I use tuner so thats why I know), it broke..

9. zeyqer

zeyqer

I never bought a string, is there something to know before buying one? I do remember it says .045 -.105 on the booklet and I dont really get it :s

10. Down_Low

Down_Low

Don't buy a string, buy a whole new set. If they're getting old they'll all need replacing.

11. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

12. zeyqer

zeyqer

So basically I just need to find a whole set for bass guitar? Will the strings in it be the same as if buying individually? I mean, it says .045 - .105 on the booklet, god.. sorry, im confused as fck now :/

13. zeyqer

zeyqer

Ive been playing bass for almost a year and yes, I still consider myself new bcos I never learn abt the guitars n ****, all I do know is tuning the string n playing some songs haha.. thanks for that.. :hyper:

14. Project7Bass

Project7Bass Supporting Member

I would buy a whole new set. If you are new to playing the bass lighter gauge strings would be my recommendation. They are easier on your fingers.

15. zeyqer

zeyqer

ALSO GUYS.. If I buy a new set, will the peg be included in the packet? or no? :s

16. Espresto

Espresto

Well, you've been playing for at least a year, and, to be honest, I didn't really know anything until about a year after I started playing. Now's a good a time as any to start.

Get whatever strings you want, I like DR Sunbeams, but it's a personal preference thing. If you want a bright sound (slap, metal) then get roundwound strings (it will specify on the package), stainless steel is brighter than nickel, but also rougher on your fingers. If you want a classic rock, blues, country or funk sound then get flatwounds (it will be clear on the packaging). If you get flatwounds then you'll probably never have to replace them. .045-.105 is probably the most common gauge, and unless you're downtuning a lot (drop C or lower), just get that.

Also, as a rule of thumb never tune strings higher than standard, that's an easy way to ruin your neck.

Look up the manual on Ibanez's website for a guide to changing strings. Do not cut the strings, detune them and then just take them out. Cutting the strings causes a lot of tension to be released into the neck; it's not a huge deal, but better safe than sorry.

The pegs aren't included in the package, those stay on your bass

17. zeyqer

zeyqer

lighter as in what? is there an indicator saying that its light? :s sorry Im so new abt strings lol and will the peg be included in the packet? :help:

18. Espresto

Espresto

The peg is part of the tuner, which stays on your bass; it is literally screwed onto your bass. Just keep it simple first time around and get a .045-.105 set

19. SolarMan

The .045 - .105 is the range of string thickness from the skinny G string (.045 inches thick) to the fat E string (0.105 inches). So, the E string is a little more than 1/10th inch thick.

The set most likely consists of E = 0.105, A = 0.085, D = 0.065, G =0.045

I would stay with similar strings that are on now to avoid having to mess with the truss rod and intonation (assuming they are okay now)

Get a set of Round Wound .045 - .105

And get something decent but not expensive (D'addario, GHS, etc...)

Stay patient and you will master all of this in no time.

20. SolarMan

Lighter would be skinnier strings like: 0.040 - .095

They require less tension to tune up, but then you may need to adjust the truss rod.

Don't even think about touching the truss until you fully understand how easy it is to ruin your neck if you don't know what to do.

There are heavier strings too but .045 - .105 is the most popular.

21. zeyqer

zeyqer

oh sorry, can you look at the new added pic on this thread. will that circle thing be inside the new whole set? or i use it from my old string? :help::help: