1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

I can play Bass but I can't play Guitar

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mancefine, Feb 5, 2014.

1. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers and Spector Basses
    I was just curious to see how many people out there were like me. I'm pretty dang good at bass, I know all my keys, notes etc, mainly play an agressive "Geezer-esque" fingerstyle but can play with a pick, but put a 6 string guitar in my hands and it may as well be a clarinet, as it seems that foreign. I can wail on bass all day but I just simply don't get guitar. I've never had any desire to play guitar, but recently I figured I'd try and give it a go. Anyone else have this issue, and are there any good methods from translating bass to guitar? I have big hands, so that's always made it a bit more difficult for me on guitar.
  2. musicxfactor

musicxfactor Supporting Member

I can't play guitar and never had a desire to learn. For me, it's always been bass!!
  3. casper_morgan

casper_morgan

i can barely play a guitar, and when i do prefer an acoustic... and even further i like the sound of a classical, but i only know about 4 or 5 chords... other than that i end up playing it like a bass, lol. I can write solo's pretty well but again that just comes from the single picking bass knowledge
  4. Lownote38

Lownote38

My college bass instructor couldn't play guitar and as far as I know still can't. He's an amazing bass player, though! One of the best! I can play guitar, but I only do so in the privacy of my own home because I'm not very good at it.
  5. kevteop

kevteop

Yeah I'm really not a good guitarist, I've never practised it. I've still had to show guitarists how to play chords before though... :rollno:
  6. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

I used to play solo acoustic shows with a 12-string so, yes, I can play. Definitely not lead or anything to fancy but I can strum or pick my way through a couple hundred tunes.

It makes writing music so much easier.
  7. Basshappi

Basshappi

Never learned to play guitar. I need to correct that.
  8. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

I had just started guitar lessons when my ring finger and pinkie went numb (cubital tunnel syndrome). No more guitar lessons for me.
  9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

If you learn to play guitar, eventually you succeed at it.
  10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

i would ask you to compare the hours you logged learning to be a bass player vs those spent learning to play guitar. I expect the answer will be pretty clear for you. i'm a bass player who loves guitar. just not as much as I love the bass. That is quite clear in my playing of each.

I would also say that it isn't a race. What is true today, might not be true a few years from now. The beauty of our passion is that there is always more to learn and achieve. There is no destination, just the journey...
  11. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Yeah, I suck at guitar. Everything's too small and too close together. I can't get out of my own way.
  12. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Same here!!!
  13. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

For many of us, bass was our natural instrument of choice. It was for me.
    Guitar being a stringed instrument is truly an entirely different instrument. I play guitar, but feel much more comfy on good 'ol bass. The switch in your head between bassist & guitarist can sometimes be difficult to flip.
  14. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I started out on bass but maybe 3 years in I picked up guitar. I am obviously more a bass player but I have been a better guitarist then some of the guitar players in my bands. When I audition guitar players I am rather frank about it and say if you call yourself a guitarist you should be able to play better then me. For the record I dont consider myself a guitarist. I cant play crazy solo's but can get by on guitar if need be.

I look awkward as hell playing a les paul, but a strat fits me well. Just like a bass you have to find a guitar that fits you.
  15. KingRazor

KingRazor

I can't pick or play chords to save my life. :oops:
  16. davegt666

davegt666

I started out learning guitar for about a month. Learn a few chords and stuff. Then my friend traded a spare tire to his neighbor for a squire p bass. I tried it and it's been all bass for me ever since. I can barely play guitar, just power chords and stuff, but on bass I'm like a different person. I can really attack that bass pretty well with both fingers and a pick. I love it.
  17. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

I can play guitar a little but I am much better at bass. Like KeddyLee said above it makes writing much easier.
  18. Jbassrockboy

Jbassrockboy

In response to the first thread in this post.

I think it is important to recognise that bass is a completely different instrument than a 6 string 'treble' guitar

I use to joke with a lead guitarist that whilst he could play skinny strings fast I could play fat strings slow....

And it was true because whilst he could flair on lead, he was totally incompetent in belting out a bass groove...and vice versa

There is art to both...
  19. groooooove

groooooove

hand size means nothing... itzhak perlman has huge hands and could be defended as the greatest violinist of all time. consider the size of a violin. if anyone can play that, you can play a guitar.

it's just tuned unevenly. if you can play the bass, with a relatively small amount of work you can learn any other string instrument- guitar being one of the easier ones. learning a new instrument in the same category is not that hard. not necessarily easy, but easier than starting guitar / a string instrument from scratch.
  20. nortonrider

nortonrider

Me too.
    Too tight, It may as well be a mandolin.