1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I can shake the walls, but I'm losing tone:

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPlayer95, Nov 20, 2012.

1. BassPlayer95

BassPlayer95

Here's the deal guys. My tone is WAY too muddy. I'm currently rocking a Dean Edge 09 4 string normally tuned to low C, with standard gauge strings. (Yes, I know I need heavier strings...). My amp is an acoustic B10 15 watts. Here's the problem, I can shake my walls with just 15 watts, but that's all it does, I don't hear anything but a buzz from the walls. How can I actuallly achieve the boomy sound I want? I plan on upgrading gear soon, if that helps.
    :help:

Thanks!!!

2. davidjackson

davidjackson

15" or 18" speaker, heavy gauge strings, some clever EQing and a 5 string P bass...

Just my opinion.

I love my AmStd Jazz bass but when I wanted some real boom I switched to a P and now I fill any room with a mighty big boom.

3. brianerwin

brianerwin

Upgrading to new gear is probably the best choice now.
    I have the B10 amp and as much as I would like to be able to
    shake the walls, The amp just isn't capable of giving me the best tone.
    It is a 10" woofer with only 15 watts behind it.
    Maybe a 410 cab with a decent bass head will do better.

4. JFOC

JFOC

try fiddling with the eq. Less bass, more low-mids & high-mids.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rtslinger

rtslinger

+1

7. davidjackson

davidjackson

410 is a good idea. Moves plenty of air but should retain plenty of clarity.

8. Dave Bassincus

Dave Bassincus

You do realize that you're talking about putting 15 watts through a 10 inch speaker? And detuning strings meant to function at E two whole steps? I'm not one of these high-end gear snobs AT ALL, but physics is physics my man. If you put heavier strings on, brought it up to line-level, and thew it through a powered 18 you'd hear a huge difference.
    Finally, if you can shake the walls, I would vacate the premises IMMEDIATELY. :bag:

9. Immigrant

Immigrant

Beat me to it. If 15 watts is shaking your walls, you have confused an empty refrigerator carton with your home. First, move. Then get a better amp and possibly a five string.

10. JetBlackJazz

JetBlackJazz

Parametric Eq.... Find the rumbly frequency (probably between 20-50) and cut it.

11. ACNick

ACNick Guest

Is your amp sitting on a wooden floor? I noticed that when I practice in my room my amp sounds really muddy and I can't hear the same definition in notes that I hear at gigs. It just sounded really boomy, I don't know how else to explain it. Everything would rattle even though the volume was at a reasonable level; picture frames, loose change on the desk, the amp itself... I discovered that the wooden floor in my room was a big part of the problem. I moved the amp onto the tiled floor in another part of the house and it sounded normal. I don't know why, but the amp just sounds way better when it is sitting on a concrete floor.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You're going to need new gear pretty soon anyway if you keep "shaking the walls" with a low C through a 10-inch speaker. How do you have your EQ set?

13. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I'm confused. A lot of people would say that a boomy sound can be muddy. Cut your lows and boost your mids.

The simplest answer: Get a larger amp. 15w into a single 10" speaker is a very limiting and small setup. If you think you're shaking walls now, just wait...

14. Bradass

Bradass

This is a joke, right? Shaking walls with 15 watts?

15. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

LMAO! :D

16. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

This is an exellent example of why you hear so many bass players talk about head room.

My vote is to save a few bucks and work on upgrading your gear to whatever extent your income allows.

I have to chuckle at shaking the walls with 15 watts and I assure that I am laughing with you.

I would kill to have a Youtube video of the look on your face the first time that you grab a handful of 300 tube watts or 1000 SS watts and feel/watch your pants and shirt flap. This sir, is true and absolute power ! :bassist:

17. mr.black

mr.black

^^^
    so true my orange terror bass 1000w into an ampeg 8x10 one pluck of my b-srting shook the clock off the wall in a rented rehearsal room. bam glass n neon tubes every where LOL!! and i was just setting up!

18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Another vote for this approach. Too much bass makes the sound muddy and can overdrive the amp.

19. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

Great. Now I have GAS for a 15 watt amp.

20. BassPlayer95

BassPlayer95

To the dude that asked about the wooden floor: The amp is currently sitting on top of a wood small shelving unit (it's not too heavy) and I think that that may be what's causing the vibration. I guess it was stupid to think 15 watts could shake walls. Should I move it onto the concrete floor? Also, thanks for the suggestions about the EQ, I will totally be trying that!!!

Thanks!!!

21. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

It very well might help with the vibration, give it a shot.

It's not stupid to think that at all and I believe that it's capable of doing it. Just wait until you get to play through something significantly larger. I'm betting you'll have an ear to ear smile on your face. Walls shake, pants flap, neighbors complain, etc...