I can't decide. Bass Anxiety. Currently without a bas

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HawldieMPB, Sep 11, 2013.

1. HawldieMPB

HawldieMPB

I don't know what I want. I really like vintage, thumpy, tone. I like playing clean and with some fuzz or overdriving my rig. I am currently without a bass (life of a student). I have $400 to make myself happy again. I like the look and feel of Danelectro longhorns but I've played some active pick-up Squiers and am looking at the VM series. I love flats, I love thumpy and commanding bass tones. I want a huge low end. I want vintage . I don't know what to do. Are the long horns capable of harnessing a strong low end? I'm having bass anxiety. I can only choose one right now. Will the longhorn be able to be a commanding low end? I dunno. I need guidance. I'm falling apart. Some help might reinstate my sanity. HELP ME. All suggestions appreciated. Want a vintage look and sound under $400. HELP thanks
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

It sounds like you want a Danelectro longhorn. You should get one.
  3. HawldieMPB

HawldieMPB

I do, but I'm afraid they are too bright and empty sounding (been a while since I've played one). I this a problem people have had??
  4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

I have a couple of Danelectro basses. I don't think I'd want one as my main or only bass. I'd go for a P Bass.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. oldrookie

oldrookie

Peavey Fury, early '80's, with flats. Don't get enough respect yet, but sounds like what you need for what ails you.

Actually, you could a Fury and a Foundation (if you haunt the pawn shops) and spend just over half of what you have to spend. The Fury is an '86 I refinished and the Foundation is an '83.

Solid thump, made in USA, and great sounding basses.
    [​IMG]
  7. bluehevy75

bluehevy75

+1 for peavey and flats.

I go for a little foamy strip near the bridge too. Vintage thump all day.

You may be able to get a Peavey T-40 for $400.00 as well. Heavy but with more versatility.

When budget is a concern my vote is Peavey.
  8. basspedaler

basspedaler Supporting Member

I have 2 funky basses that fit that bill:
    Gretsch Electromatic. Junior Jet (1 mini dual coil p'up) HUGE sound, very old school/retro look, fun to play short scale. inexpensive, got mine for $200.
    Squier/Fender Telecaster Vint.Mod. Special-big humbucker at neck and a J at bridge. super nice blended, but gigantic lowend and thump w/'bucker soloed. I am talking testing the limits of your rig big. medium scale sweet maple neck. with D'addario EXP Reds (copper) strings, incredibly warm. under $400 new, prob $275ish used. super cool!
  9. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I have a Squier Mikey Way Mustang I traded for recently. Very "thumpy", even with the new D'Addario medium-scales I put on it. Perhaps, a little too vintage/thumpy for my tastes. (I prefer a more mid-rangey/aggressive bite to my sound) I haven't yet decided what to do with it, but if you're interested in something like this, we can discuss it further. In the meantime, here's the original posting…
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-ft-feeler-squier-mikey-way-mustang-999422/

…and a couple of Youtube demos.

And as far as flats go, there are some to choose from. When I talked with a guy from BassStringsOnline, he told almost everyone calling about Mustang basses are looking for the right kind of flats to go with. Because of the string-through design, you need to get medium-scale strings, not necessarily short-scales.
  10. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

11. SteveC

SteveC

Find a P bass that you can afford and like. PLenty of people make them and the used market is definitely you friend.
  12. noiseguy

noiseguy

Did you budget a practice amp in?
  13. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

I agree with basspedaler. The Squier VM Telecaster bass special is a pretty sweet bass. I think that or a VM P-bass. I love Danelectros. I just sent mine to my Grandaughter as a birthday gift. She just turned 13 and is interested in playing bass, so I thought that would be a good one to start on. I played Jerry Jones Longhorns almost exclusively for many years. The Dano quality is not up to the JJ though, but you can put out some great bottom end. Its just now sometimes, to me anyway, they feel too small and too light! I think that maybe after a while you may be wanting to have a more substantial bass.
  14. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

You could look into one of these (Squier VM P),IMO very vintage thumpy tone, $280 new:
    [​IMG]