1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

I can't find Bass sheet music

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Madcap, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Madcap

Madcap

Hi, I was looking around for some Nirvana sheet music. Bass, of course. But I cannot find them anywhere, I know the songs are fairly simple but I would like to make sure I get them 100% correct, same with a lot of other bands I'm looking for like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, etc..

But can anyone help with a Bass song book/sheet music on their debut album Bleach? Thank you.
  2. mrbell321

mrbell321

Given that popular music isn't always written down, even published printed music is probably just someone else's guess. So there's no guarantee of being 100% correct.
    However, I understand wanting to have something semi-official. For that, I have no help.
  3. grumpyfunk

grumpyfunk Supporting Member

4. grumpyfunk

grumpyfunk Supporting Member

5. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

You have run up against what we deal with all the time. Problem finding bass clef on Pop, Rock and Country. Lead sheet and fake chord galore, but, nothing out there with bass clef.

You can normally find fake chord so you have the chords and how they line up with the lyrics. Compose your own bass lines based upon the chord's notes, so it's not 100% what the original bass did, get as close as you can. Got to start somewhere, the more you play the song the better it will sound. Go have fun.

Point of interest. I stopped worrying about duplicating the original artists rendition of the song a long time ago. Now that may be hard for you to accept, I understand that, but, I get as close as I can and move on to the next song. Everyone knows it's me playing not the original artist. As long as you get asked back they enjoyed your rendition.

Sure sometime someone will point out that Victor did not do it that way. I remind them that Victor is not with us tonight.
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Why not just work on your ear and figure them out 100%? Pink Floyd and Nirvana are great places to start transcribing yourself.

I'd recommend ear training books over song books, especially a one that "studies" a guy's technique and can't even spell his name right. Krist Novaselic played in Nirvana, not Chris.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Supporting Member

It's Amazon who have made the mistake - if you look at the cover of the actual book, the author gets it right, but Amazon have made a mistake in their listing! :p
  8. repoman

repoman

9. RandalPinkFloyd

RandalPinkFloyd

I have their greatest hits songbook as a PDF on my computer at home. I think it may be too big to email, but I'll see. I don't remember how many songs from Bleach are on in there, but I know a few are, then most of Smells Like Teen Spirit and In Utero. I may be able to upload it somewhere for you to download and print. Shoot me a PM so I don't forget.

As much as I like Nirvana, I didn't enjoy playing along to their songs out of the book like I do with the Chili Peppers, The Beatles, GNR, and the other songbooks I have. It may be due to the fact that out of 20 songs, there are 7 different tunings. (I may be exaggerating a bit).
  10. sammyp

sammyp

11. Madcap

Madcap

Some of the time with long 20+ minute song I don't particularly worry about non bass driven parts and improvise it (still in the same rhythm and I try to get as much as the Bass is as possible.) if that's what you mean, I've been using tabs for a while now but I guess i'm just curious as to how well they add to each other. There's just something about it with some songs I like to get almost perfect.

I don't mind paying a few bucks.

I tried to use my ear for some songs that I can't find the Bass to but I just can't, maybe if it's in Drop D or Standard tuning but otherwise it's too tricky for my capabilities as of today. But maybe I will try some of these ear training books.
  12. tgriley62

tgriley62

I have been playing for only 3 years now. When I first started all I used was tabs (most of which are wrong). Now I use guitar chord sheets that I find on-line. Try www.chordie.com & www.e-chords.com. Use the guitar chord for your root note & if you listen to the song you can get pretty close to the original bass line. One thing that helps me is that with the guitar chord sheet it has the lyrics that makes it easy to follow
  13. RandalPinkFloyd

RandalPinkFloyd

It's just under 6 meg. Just shot you a pm. If you cant' receive it via email, I might be able to find a host so you can pull it. here is the song list :

About a Girl
    All Apologies
    Blew
    Come as you Are
    Dumb
    Floyd the Barber
    Heart Shaped Box
    In Bloom
    Lithium
    Lounge Act
    Mr Moustache
    On a Plain
    Penny Royal Tea
    Polly
    Rape Me
    Smells Like Teen Spirit
    Stain
    Stay Away

Attached Files:

14. Stumbo

Stumbo Supporting Member

Download "Best Practice" slowdowner software that will assist you in learning any song (mp3 or wav files) and improving your ear. The bass line can be isolated with the bass/treble sliders. Increasing the pitch an octave can increase clarity of the bass after slowing a tune down. Sometimes the volume has to be increased to hear it better.

It's also pretty much known that unless the song has a bass line/guitar riff or whatever, whatever is in a tune is what the musician put in the song on that day. Live performances by the original band have many minor (sometimes major) changes from the recorded tune.