1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I cant get my GK 1001rb loud enough without clipping!!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Dronevil86, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Dronevil86

Dronevil86

So i first had this head matched with just a hartke hydrive 1000 watt 4x10, and it was loud as hell. After i added 2 guitarists into the mix, however, i could barely hear myself. I then added an old ampeg svt 4x10, and a music man 1x15 to my set up to see if that would help, but the problem remains. If we play with the eq long enough and i start getting some presence in the mix, my clipping light starts blinking furiously. Does anyone have any advice for this?

2. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 EBMM Nut Supporting Member

Are you boosting the bass?

3. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

I have a 700RB-II and those are loud. The 1001 is a monster! There are several knobs that control volume on these. Try reducing input gain and/or using the pad toggle. Boost your controls on the right side of the head for output rather than the one on the left side of your head.

4. Grissle

Grissle

!What are the ohm ratings to your cabs! You could be running to low a load for your head. And are you running just two or all three cabs!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassplayer7770

bassplayer7770

If you look at the recommended settings in the manual, you will notice you should set the Master/Woofer between 12 and 3 o'clock. Then set the Boost where you want it for the grit. Then use the Volume control to adjust overall level.

7. bassplayer7770

bassplayer7770

Another option is to tell your guitarists to turn down. :p

8. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

9. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Are you running the Hartke, Ampeg, and the 1X15 all together? If so, don't do that...

I would be using both of the 4X10's. It will more than likely be louder than using the 1X15 and will be a much better match.

How are all of your knobs and EQ set? Where is the input volume, woofer volume, and boost?

10. David Jayne

David Jayne

Check phase. 9v battery test. And yeah, what's the impedance of that pile?

11. David Jayne

David Jayne

Also, this suggests.............maybe they're too damn loud?

12. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    Your doing something wrong. My 1001RB was plenty loud through a 212. What Ampeg 410 ? If its an hlf you cant use another cab with it. Its already 4ohms

13. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    The clip light on the 1001RB-II is very early in the circuit. Before the first volume control. Turning knobs on the amp won't affect it, but the pushing the Pad button will.

If it's lighting, that usually means the signal you're sending to the input is too hot. Usually from pedals.

Some people actually like the sound of these amps when the input is overdriven and completely ignore that little red light.

14. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    Boost your mids, cut your bass

15. Catbuster

Catbuster

You're sending too hot a signal to the input stage of the preamp

16. WingKL

WingKL

Have you had the chance to read your user manual? In addition to all the advice above, I'd add to make sure your contour control is set to minimum so you don't scoop your mids, set to 4 string mode to cut the power wasting ultra low frequencies, set you woofer/master volume control to maximum if you want maximum headroom. You might even get to experience the famous classic GK growl while you're at it if you're actually playing that loud. EQ settings that sound good while you're playing alone usually does not work well in a band setting. You have to adjust the amp so it works when you have the rest of the band playing. That usually means not scooping your mids.

17. fabubass

fabubass

clipping a 1000RB11
    Wow!!! You guys must be loud!!

18. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 to above, and especially about running all 3 of those cabs together. No way can that be a good idea. Just use the 2 410's, IF they're both 8 ohm cabs, and check the polarity as described above.

19. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I used a 1001RB-II for years in venues ranging from small clubs to large outdoor places that held 25,000 people. I never had trouble hearing myself. Either your band is too loud or you need a lesson in how to eq.

20. cruzer51

cruzer51

What kind of bass are you playing? I know my P-bass clips on my 700rb. I turn the input volume down and the master up when i use the P-bass.

21. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    If you don't use at least some boost the amp will seem to be underpowered in loud situations. If you're really clipping the amp's output... damn.