"I Can't Make It To Your Gig Because"... why?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Lazylion, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self! Supporting Member

I've heard a lot of excuses over 40 years about why someone can't/didn't come to my gig. One must be understanding about this, most people mean well, but stuff comes up in one form or another. I thought I'd heard most every possible excuse out there by now...

But this week I heard one I never heard before. A friend of my wife's told her "I couldn't come to your husband's gig because I'd just had my eyebrows tattooed on".

LOL that's a new one on me! :eyebrow: does that hurt much?

I don't doubt that she had it done, but it gave me an idea for a thread: what's the most unlikely no-show excuse you've ever heard?

(Please, only real excuses that you've actually heard.)

2. Slade N

Slade N sunn #91 AZ Bands #? Supporting Member

wasnt a gig but a guy cancelled practice because he claimed a one arm man was walking in his frnt yard and waving a gun

3. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

most of my people don't make up excuses...they just say "I was too tired", or "saw you guys the last time" or 'you suck".

What I hate is when there is no contact at all...or there i no contact, but then queries as to why I didn't go see there band play...

4. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

I would estimate that whenever people say "I'll be there" for a gig, or party, or events of that sort... only about 30% show up.

There's even people who buy tickets to the Superbowl and don't go!!!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. zachoff

zachoff

Most of my friends have families or don't like metal so I don't get upset if they don't come to our shows. It's cool when the do, but it's not expected of them. Hell, my wife doesn't come to our shows half the time.

7. oldrocker

oldrocker

Why would people feel the need to make an excuse for not going to your gig?

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i feel like i'm allowed to cajole somebody to come out to a show if they've never seen my band before; once they've seen us, i'll remind them or whatever about future shows but that's as far as i'll take it, they either like us or they don't.

9. Lazylion

Now THAT'S just crazy!
    I dunno, guilt maybe?

10. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    A tattoo is basically an open wound until it heals. I don't think I'd want to go out to a club with a fresh tattoo that I couldn't cover up.

11. Denver Max

Denver Max

This is sort of the same thing. I had a house show at my old place, historic house downtown, HUGE. Had a couple touring bands play, one of them was on the same label as Russian Circles, awesome show. I paid the bands out of my pocket and asked for a donation at the door. This house was in the middle of downtown, pretty much free show, and out of the couple hundred folks who knew about it, maybe 20 showed up. The same people who complain about there being nothing to do and about our town having a crappy scene couldn't be bothered to come out. Nobody was even considerate enough to come up with a crappy excuse.

However, the bands had a great time. Said it was one of the most fun gigs they had played, and the warm beds/couches and free food probably didn't hurt. They said they felt bad about taking the money but one of the guys had to get his amp fixed, so they sort of had no choice. On the plus side, free guest list spot for life!

12. Lazylion

Darn the luck, they had no choice! LOL

13. el murdoque

el murdoque

i actually never confronted people with not showing up at my gigs.
    Either they dig my band's sound and have nothing better to do than showing up or they don't.
    Taste is not a thing to argue about and i personally don't need friends to show up just for me even if they don't like my music.

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

What they really mean is I don't want to come, which is perfectly fine but people are reluctant to say it because they don't want to hurt.
    I make sure everybody knows about the event but I don't ask them to come. I don't want to annoy them.

15. invader3k

invader3k Supporting Member

You can't take it personally. We have something like 160 people who like our Facebook page, most of whom live in the area and have been to at least one of our gigs...but we're usually lucky to get 20 or so people to show up to a local gig. It's just how it is.

16. pfox14

pfox14

I've gotten huge tattoos and it never stopped me from going out somewhere.

17. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

I've played a gig immediately after getting part of my sleeve worked on. Bad excuse.

18. oldrocker

oldrocker

Why would someone have to feel guilty for not going to one of your gigs?

19. BWB

BWB

I stopped even telling my friends I have gigs, for the most part, long long ago. They see my Facebook page, they know I'm playing, they know my band(s) are always kickass but I'd say the vast majority of my friends have never seen me play a single gig and never will.

This is where the "club owners who think musicians are going to bring people to their club" model completely cracks down the middle.

20. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

That's pretty accurate. Most of the shows we play have a Facebook events page created for them. Our band came up with the formula that if you take the number of people who "join" the event or say "maybe" and add the individual numbers, that's a more accurate measurement of how many will actually attend.

Example from a show last month where we were the opening band:
    Joining - 133, using formula 1+3+3=7
    Maybe - 83, using formula 8+3=11
    Total 216, using formula 18
    Add 10-15 for members from other bands and their partners

21. car2nist

car2nist

Typical conversation between me and my wife about a gig:

Me: You coming tonight?
    Her: Are you playing <insert song name here>?
    Me: Yes.
    Her: No.

Cue outro. Fade.